Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For up-to-date information on recalls and product withdrawals associated with the horse meat investigation, please consult the Horse Meat Synopsis and Recalls page.
For up-to-date information on recalls and product withdrawals associated with the Kasel pet treat recalls and investigation, please consult the Kasel Dog Treat Recalls: 2012-2013 page.
- Food Safety Recall: Amport Foods recalls Vanilla Almond Granola (22 oz; UPC 71725 72512), due to the possible presence of flexible metal mesh in the product. The recalled granola was sold at Price Chopper.
- Allergy Alert: Les Caprices du Boucher inc (Gatineau, QC) recalls Pâté Chinois (undeclared milk and soy) and All varieties of pies, pâtés and tourtières (undeclared soy and sulfites), due to undeclared allergens.
- Allergy Alert: Summer Star Trading Co. Ltd. recalls Preserved Lemon (150g; Code 188.8.131.52.01.2; UPC 6 902141 325179), Preserved Star Fruit (150g; Code 184.108.40.206.01.2; UPC 6 902141 325179), and Preserved Mandrin (170g; Code 3.251.7901.0; UPC 6 902141 325179), due to undeclared sulphites. The recalled products were supplied to retailers in Ontario.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Alert: Vertex Pharmaceuticals (Canada) Incorporated and Health Canada warn the public regarding serious skin reactions suffered by some patients taking INCIVEK™ combination therapy for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C in adults. The reactions have resulted in a hospital treatment and death.
- Food Fraud Recall (Sweden): Axfood recalls Eldorado Frozen Meatballs (1000g; Best before date 12/2-2014 or earlier), Eldorado Fresh Meatballs (1000g; Best before date 8/3-2013 or earlier), Garant Frozen Meatballs (600g; Best before date 12/2-2014 or earlier), and Garant Fresh Meatballs (350g; Best before date 8/3-2013 or earlier), after the company finds horse meat in the products.
- Food Fraud Withdrawal (Greece): FSA for Eastern Macedonia and Thrace orders the removal of AP-APC Armenian Formula Kebab (1 kg pack; manufactured by Packer Bros; sold at Kavala branch of Metro SA) and Destan Beef Salami (500g pkg; Manufactured by Dutch company DEMKA GmbH; sold at Yakup grocery store), after horse meet is found in the products.
- Outbreak Alert (Ireland): Health officials have confirmed a case of E. coli infection in a baby at the First Steps crèche in Midleton (Cork). all 85 children and 15 staff at the crèche are now being tested for the infection.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0264): Norovirus in chilled oysters from France; distributed to France.
Australia and New Zealand
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Australia): The Therapeutic Goods Administraton (TGA) has tested Natural Miaotiaoyishen Capsules and found that the so-called natural product contains undeclared sibutramine (a prescription-only medicine that was withdrawn in 2010 due to increased risk of major cardiac events) and phenolphthalein (previously used as an oral laxative, but no longer sold in Australia due to serious safety concerns). TGA advises consumers to stop taking this product and to take any remaining capsules to a local pharmacy for safe disposal.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall website.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.