Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For up-to-date information on recalls and product withdrawals associated with the horse meat investigation, please consult the Horse Meat Synopsis and Recalls page.
For up-to-date information on recalls and product withdrawals associated with the Kasel pet treat recalls and investigation, please consult the Kasel Dog Treat Recalls: 2012-2013 page.
- Food Safety Recall: Ingles Markets Inc. recalls Laura Lynn Macaroni (16 oz; Item #97987), due to possible infestation.
- Food Safety Recall: Altiza Inc. (Chula Vista, CA) recalls Malichita brand Cucumbers (44 lbs/box; Lot #MA012304), due to possible Salmonella contamination. The recalled product was distributed in California.
- Food Safety Recall: Hoop Nuts LLC, dba Christophers Nut Co. (Van Nuys, CA) recalls ARO Pistachio/Orandi Farms Pistachio Halves ‘n’ Pieces raw pistachios (30-lb boxes; Lot #121203) due to Salmonella contamination. The recalled product was distributed in California.
- Food Safety Recall: Hoop Nuts LLC, dba Christophers Nut Co. (Van Nuys, CA) recalls ARO Pistachio / Orandi Farms Pistachio Halves ‘n’ Pieces dry roasted pistachios (30-lb boxes; Lot #1-121213), due to Salmonella contamination. The recalled product was distributed in California.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: Olaax Corp recalls Maxiloss Weight Advanced Dietary Supplement softgels (3 x 12 blister packs per box; Batch #001; All lots) due to undeclared sibutramine. The recalled product was distributed nationwide from January 2011 to November 2012. The product was sold to distributors nationwide and known-to-be counterfeit versions are sold on various online sites. The recall includes ALL authentic Lot numbers and known to be counterfeit lot numbers of authentic lots. Any packaging types that are different from listed are counterfeit. Any lot numbers not listed are counterfeit and are also part of the recall.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall/Alert: Affymax, Inc. and Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited recall OMONTYS® (peginesatide) Injection (10mg Multi-dose vials and 20 mg Multi-dose vials; All lots) after receiving postmarketing reports regarding serious hypersensitivity reactions, including anaphylaxis. The recalled product was distributed Nationwide, including Puerto Rico and Guam to dialysis centers via specialty distributors. FDA has been notified by Affymax of 19 reports of anaphylaxis from dialysis centers in the USA, including three fatal cases.
- Allergy Alert: Sweet Revenge Confection Company recalls Barr’s Dark Almond Bark (350g; All codes; UPC 7 79781 70211 2) and Barr’s White Almond Bark (350g; All codes; UPC 7 79781 70206 8), due to undeclared peanut. The recalled products were sold in Saskatchewan.
- Allergy Alert: Canada Volumes Import/Export Inc. recalls James Bun Frozen Golden Shine Pastry Sheet (7.02 kg; Lot No. CV21323) and James Bun Golden Shine Puff Pastry Sheets (585g; UPC 6 81240 00015 1), due to undeclared milk. The recalled products were distributed to retailers, hotels, restaurants and institutional customers in Alberta and British Columbia.
- Allergy Alert: Unfi Canada Inc. recalls J1 Crunchy Rice Roll Black Pearl Rice & White Rice (100g; All codes; UPC 6 78108 20405 9) and J1 Crunchy Rice Roll Brown Rice & White Rice (100g; All codes; UPC 6 78108 20401 1), due to undeclared gluten. The recalled products were supplied to retailers in Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, and Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall: CFIA warns the public not to consume Murchie’s Lemon Drop Tea (25 tea bags/56g; Batch code 615125; UPC 0 67421 31025 5) and Co-Op Gold Organic Pomegranate White Tea (20 tea bags/40g; BBD: 2014JA26 and 2014MA26; UPC 0 57316 14280 1) due to possible Salmonella contamination. The recalled products were distributed in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Saskatchewan
- Food Safety Recall (France): La Corbeille des Saveur recalls La Corbeille des Saveurs and La Marmite des Saveurs brands of Anchoïade, Confiture d’Olive Noire, Olivade à l’Anchois, Pistou Rouge, Tapenade Noire, Tartinad’Pois Chiche, Tian de Pois Chiche, and Tian de Fenouil due to a defect in the pasteurization procedure, which could result in the possible development of Clostridium botulinum and the production of botulinum toxin in the products.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): La Corbeille des Saveur recalls Tapenade noire, Olivade noire, Confiture d’olive noire, Olivade à l’anchois, Anchoïade, Pistou rouge, Tapenad’olive noire, Tian de pois chiche, Tartinad’pois chiche, and Tian de fenouil (Product of France; All lots), due to potential development of Clostridium botulinum.
- Food Safety Alert (Switzerland): The Federal Office of Public Health strongly warns the public against using the apparatus known as ‘Pocket Silver‘ which claims to enrich drinking water with silver ions. The consumption of water treated with Pocket Silver can lead to the development of silver deposits in the skin, the mucous membranes and various organs (especially the kidneys and the eyes).
- Food Fraud Notification (EU #2013.0231): Adulteration (horse DNA) of frozen beef trimmings from Poland; distributed to Denmark, Germany, Liechtenstein and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0232): Excessive Escherichia coli in mussels from Spain; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0233): Salmonella anatum in beef trimming processed in the Netherlands, with raw material from Poland, via Germany; distributed to Sweden.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2013.0236): Undeclared lactose in probiotics for babies and children from Bulgaria; distributed to Estonia and Lithuania.
- Food Fraud Notification (EU #2013.0238): Adulteration (horse protein) of pasta sauce bolognese from Austria; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0239): Aflatoxins in dried figs from Turkey; distributed to Austria and Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0241): Inadequate acidity and potential growth of Clostridium botulinum in tapenade, tian and olivado from France; distributed to Belgium, France and the United Kingdom.
- Food Fraud Notification (EU #2013.0242): Adulteration (undeclared horse protein) of frozen lasagne bolognese from Italy; distributed to Italy and the United Kingdom.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0243): Salmonella Senftenberg in frozen snack for dogs from Canada; distributed to Norway.
- Food Fraud Notification (EU #2013.0244): Adulteration (horse DNA) of lasagne bolognese from Hungary; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Fraud Notification (EU #2013.0245): Adulteration (horse DNA) of frozen meatballs from Sweden; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0247): Salmonella in paan leaves from Bangladesh; distributed to the United Kingdom.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall website.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.