Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For up-to-date information on recalls and product withdrawals associated with the horse meat investigation, please consult the Horse Meat Synopsis and Recalls page.
- Allergy Alert: Herbalife recalls Instant Healthy Meal Nutritional Shake Mix packets (cartons of 12 packets & single-serving packets in introductory business pack; Lot Nos. 133405G10, 133408G10, & 133409G10) due to undeclared traces of milk proteins. The label identifies the product as dairy-free. The recalled product was distributed in the USA from January 16, 2013 through February 16, 2013, exclusively to individual independent distributors.
- Allergy Alert Update: Bruce Foods Corporation (New Iberia, LA) recalls Food Club Red Enchilada Sauce (10 oz cans; Code GES 462449; Best before 12/3/2016) due to undeclared wheat and soy. The recalled product was distributed between 1/15/2013 and 1/28/2013 in Virginia, Minnesota and Indiana. The original recall notice did not include Indiana in the distribution lits.
- Food Safety Recall: Dakota Specialty Milling recalls certain specialty flours and grain blends due to the possible presence of fragments of thin metal wire from a defective screen on one of its manufacturing lines. The recalled flours and blends were supplied to manufacturers of leading brands of variety breads, cereals, crackers, granola, and nutrition bars, and were not sold directly to consumers.
- Food Safety Recall: King Arthur Flour (Norwich, VT) recalls King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (5-lb bags; UPC 0-71012-01050-9; Best used by 12/26/2013 & Lot code L12A26B, 12/26/2013 and L12A26C, 12/27/2013 and L12A27A, 01/18/2014 and A13A18A, 01/18/2014 and A13A18B, 01/21/2014 and A13A21A, 01/22/2014 and A13A22B, 01/30/2014 and A13A30A, 01/31/2014 and A13A31A) and King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour (5-lb bags; UPC 0-71012-04105-3; Best use by 12/26/2013 and Lot code L12A26A, 12/26/2013 and L12A26B, 01/03/2014 and A13A03A, 01/03/2014 and A13A03B, 01/16/2014 and A13A16B, 01/17/2014 and A13A17A, 01/23/2014 and A13A23A, 01/28/2014 and A13A28A, 01/31/2014 and A13A31A), due to the presence of small blue polyurethane balls that are used in the sifting process. Only those bags where the Best Used By Date and Lot code numbers are printed on the side of the bag beneath the nutrition panel are affected.
- Food Recall: Price Chopper recalls Price Chopper Cooked Squash (12 oz; UPC 41735-30346; Lot #1PNNUA21; Best by November 21, 2013), due to taste and odor not meeting quality expectations.
- Pet Food Safety Recall: Hy-Vee, Inc. recalls Hy-Vee Complete Dog – Complete Nutrition (Green Bag) dog food (34-lb, 8-lb and 4.4-lb bags; UPC 07545005647, 07545005667 & 07545005665, respectively; Lot # ending with 29812KC; Best by date 11/24/13), Hy-Vee Complete Dog – Complete Nutrition (Green Bag) dog food (4.4-lb bags; UPC 07545005665; Lot # ending with 29912KC; Best by date 11/25/13) and Hy-Vee Complete Dog – Bites, Bones & Squares (Yellow Bag) dog food (20-lb and 4.4-lb bags; UPC 07545005680 & 07545005560, respectively; Lot # ending with 29312KC; Best by date 11/19/13), after the iowa Department of Agriculture found higher than normal levels of aflatoxin in some samples produced at a Kansas City plant operated by Pro-Pet, LLC. The recalled products were distributed to Hy-Vee stores in Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin between October 26, 2012 and January 11, 2013.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The State of Alaska reports that 18 individuals have been identified in an outbreak of Campylobacter infections associated with consuming raw milk distributed by a Kenai-based cow-share program. Some of the outbreak victims reported recurrent illness, and two people required hospitalization. The Alaska Section of Epidemiology is contacting individuals suspected of receiving or consuming raw milk from the implicated far and expects the number of probable and confirmed cases to rise. The implicated raw milk was distributed to shareholders throughout the Kenai Peninsula, in Anchorage and in Sitka. There is at least one secondary case – an infant who had close contact with a confirmed case-patient. Anyone in Alaska who consumed raw milk in 2013 and subsequently developed a diarrheal illness should contact the Alaska Section of Epidemiology at 907-269-8000 (in Anchorage) or toll-free at 1-800-478-0084 and ask to speak to a member of the Infectious Disease Team.
- Food Safety Recall: Nu-Tea Company Ltd. (Abbotsford, BC) recalls Tega brand Organic Lemon Hibiscus Green Rooibos Herbal Tea (24 tea bags/48g/1.69 oz; UPC 6 64322 10406 0; Best before dates 2014FE01, 2014MR27, and 2014MR28) due to possible Salmonella contamination. The recalled product was distributed at the retail level in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, and Saskatchewan.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The Public Health Agency of Canada reports that two more cases of E. coli O157:H7 illness have been linked to frozen beef burgers from Cardinal Meat Specialists Ltd. The latest illnesses, which were reported in Manitoba and Ontario, brings the total number of outbreak victims to seven people in three provinces: Ontario (4), Alberta (2) and Manitoba (1). The most recent illness reports triggered a reopening of CFIA’s investigation into operations at Cardinal, and prompted the recall of additional products by the company.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall website.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.