Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: The Kroger Company recalls Bakery Mardi Gras King Cake, Cinnamon (**1315), due to undeclared pecans. The recalled product was sold at Kroger stores in Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama and Knoxville, TN.
- Allergy Alert: Marshallville Packing Co. Inc. recalls German Brand Beef Bologna, Garlic Beef Bologna, Beef Bologna, Trail Style Bologna, Dutch Brand Loaf, and Braunschweiger ready-to-eat meats, due to undeclared wheat.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Alert: FDA has warned U.S. doctors about another counterfeit version of the cancer drug Avastin. The product, labeled as Altuzan (bevacizumab) 400 mg/16 mL, may be counterfeit if it displays Batch No. B6022B01 (Exp. date 11 2013) or B6024B01 (Exp. date 02 2013). FDA lab tests have confirmed that at least one batch of the counterfeit product contains no active ingredient.
- Allergy Alert: AAA Boucherie Gourmet inc. (Montreal, QC) recalls Sauce Spaghetti Maison (All product sold up to 5 February 2013, inclusive) due to undeclared wheat, soy, milk or mustard).
- Allergy Alert (UK): Greencity Wholefoods withdraws Yogurt coated Pineapple (100g; Best before dates up to and including October 2013) and Yogurt coated apricots (100g; Best before dates up to and including November 2013) due to undeclared milk and sulphites.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0140): Deltamethrin, dimethomorph, tolfenpyrad and flubendiamide in chinese kale from Malaysia; distributed to Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0143): Excessive benzoic acid in root beer from Thailand; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0144): Shigatoxin-producing Escherichia coli in chilled beef meat from the USA; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0145): Lead in tulip mussel from Greece; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0146): Dimethoate in green tea from China; distributed to Poland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0147): Sulfadiazine above MRL in frozen tilapia from China; distributed to Belgium and France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0148): Listeria monocytogenes in gorgonzola from Italy; distributed to Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0149): Excessive aluminium in food stabilizer from Germany; distributed to Germany, the Russian Federation and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0150): Salmonella in minced meat manufactured in Sweden, with raw material from Ireland; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0151): Benzalkonium chloride and didecyldimethylammonium chloride in syrup containing beta glucan from the Czech Republic; distributed to the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0152): Anisakis infestation of chilled mackerel from Spain; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Proprietary Chinese Medicine Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Fung Wah (Hong Kong) Company (operated by Honour Essence Trading Limited) recalls Yunnan Baiyao capsules (registration number: HKP-00776; batch number: 48911104), Yunnan Baiyao powder (registration number: HKP-00775; batch number: 48971012), Yunnan Baiyao plaster (registration number: HKP-00255; batch number: 48971204), Yunnan Baiyao aerosol (registration number: HKP-00777; batch number: 48971107) and Yunnan Baiyao tincture (registration number: HKP-00805; batch number: 20110101C), as they have been found to contain undeclared aconitum alkaloids.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall website.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.