Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Einstein Bros. recalls Einstein Bros. Darn Good Atlantic Smoked Salmon (4 oz pkg; UPC 099892315200; Lots #249 through 291), due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product was distributed only in Georgia and Illinois.
- Food Safety Recall: Ingles Markets Inc. recalls Santa Barbara Sun Dried Olives (5 oz; Item #735809; Code 0611C03W), because the jars may have broken seals and some molding.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Raca Enterprises, Inc., dba Life Cycle Herbal Products (El Monte, CA) that an August 2012 inspection of the company’s dietary supplement manufacturing facility found serious violations of FDA’s Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) in Manufacturing, Packaging, Labeling, or Holding Operations for Dietary Supplements regulation, and that subsequent actions by the company to address these violations were found by FDA to be inadequate.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns AloeScience Labs, Inc. (Garland, TX) that a February-March 2012 inspection of the company’s facility found number of violations of the dietary supplement Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations.
- Food Safety Recall Update (Germany): Pilzversand Zollner extends its earlier recall of Dried Morels (100g; Best before 31.12.2014) to include all sales since April 2012, because of contamination with poisonous mushroom (Frühjahrslorchel). The recalled morels were sold on eBay.
- Outbreak Alert Update (UK): The Health Protection Agency reports that there have been 3,877 lab-confirmed cases of norovirus so far this season, an increase of 72% over the same period last year. During the two weeks ending December 30, 2012, there were 29 hospital outbreaks, down from 70 outbreaks during the previous fortnight. A total of 590 norovirus outbreaks have been recorded so farm this season.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0001): Salmonella bongori in lollo rosso lettuce from Germany; distributed to Denmark.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (Israel): Shamir Salads 2006 Ltd. recalls Hill Home-style Egg Salad (250g; Expiry date 22.01.13), due to Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The problem was identified as a result of routine monitoring activities carried out by the Central District Health Department.
- Food Safety Recall (Israel): ערבה מזון בע”מ recalls White Goat brand Goat Butter (100g glass jar; Expiry date 4/24/2013), after routine testing by the Ashkelon District Health Office finds E. coli bacteria in a sample of the product.
- Proprietary Medicine Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Fung Wah (Hong Kong) Company (operated by Honour Essence Trading Limited) recalls the Chinese proprietary medicine known as Canelim Capsule (Batch #1010110; Manufactured in Mainland China), due to excessive lead.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.