Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Procesadora de Productos Marinos Delifish S.A. recalls Black Bear of the Black Forest Smoked Salmon (1 lb.; UPC 810230000493; Lots 249 thru 291), Food Service Cold Smoked Salmon Trim (1 lb.; Lots 249 thru 291), Einstein Darn Good (4 oz Retail package; UPC 099892315200, Lots 249 thru 291), Food Service Whole Smoked Side (3-5 lb.; Lots 249 thru 291), Silver Source Smoked Salmon Foodservice (2-3 lb. smoked fillet; Lots 249 thru 291), Royal Fjord Smoked Toppers (6oz; UPC 810230000561; Lots 249 thru 291), Royal Fjord Sliced Smoked Salmon Loin (12-14 oz.; Item # 42925; Lots 249 thru 291) and HEB smoked salmon (4 oz.; UPC 041220630417; Lots 249 thru 291), after Listeria monocytogenes is found in “a few” of the recalled batches. The recalled product, which was produced by Marine Harvest Chile S.A. for Delifish S.A. and distributed by Marine Harvest USA, LLC (Miami, FL), may have been sold in California, Virginia, Ohio, Illinois, Florida, Georgia, Texas, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Puerto Rico.
- Animal Feed Safety Recall: ADM Alliance Nutrition, Inc. recalls MoorMan’s® ShowTec® 18 Elite Lamb DC (Product #80939MPS; Lots BF23512, BF27812, and BF29312), because the product has high levels of copper. The recalled sheep feed was shipped between Aug 24, 2012 and Nov 21, 2012 to distributors and customers in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
- Outbreak Alert (Illinois): CBS reports that more than approximately 140 prisoners at Stateville Correctional Center have been infected with norovirus gastroenteritis. The source of the outbreak is under investigation.
- Allergy Alert: Kinnikinnick Foods Inc. (Edmonton, AB) recalls Kinnikinnick Foods Pie Crusts (2 x 8″ pie crusts per 290g pkg; UPC 6 20133 00600 9; Best before 2013NO20, 2013NO21, 2013DE11, 2013DE14), due to undeclared egg. The recalled product was distributed in British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario, but may have been distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Pilzversand Zollner recalls Dried Morels (100g; Best before 31.12.2014), because the product is contaminated with toxic mushrooms. The recalled Dried Morels were sold on eBay from between early October 2012 and December 23, 2012.
- Food Safety Recall (Luxembourg): Fromagerie de Jussac recalls a range of cheeses made from cow’s milk, goat milk and sheep milk, due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled cheeses were sold between October 31, 2012 and December 26, 2012 under the following brands: Brique de Jussac, Brique du Forez, Brique d’Auvergne, Brique de la Besse, Brique de Pays (mixed goat and cow’s milk), and Gerbizon.
- Food Safety Recall (Netherlands): Dupont Belgium and Fromagerie de Jussac (France) recall Jussac brand Brique lait de vache (250g), Brique lait de brebis (200g), Brique lait de chèvre (200g), Mini briques panachées and Gerbizon cheeses, due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. All of the recalled products carry Best before dates between 28/12/12 and 19/02/13, inclusive and were sold in EMTÉ, Jumbo, and wholesale Gligro supermarkets, and in cheese shops. No related illnesses have been reported in the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Recall (Switzerland): Fromagerie de Jussac recalls Briques de Jussac (3 x 60g, brebis, chèvre, vache; Best before dates 09.01.2013, 12.01.2013, 23.01.2013; Item #2125.063.000), due to Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The recalled cheeses were sold in Migros stores in Genève, Vaud, Neuchâtel-Fribourg and Valais.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Philippines): Pascual Laboratories recalls CALCHEWS Chocolate Flavor (Lot #382BWA & 382BWB; Expiry date 8/2014), due to contamination with Salmonella and Staphylococcus aureus.
- Food Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Food Safety advises the public not to consume Shui Kou Preserved Chili Bean Curd (350g/bottle; Best before December 30, 2013; Product of Guangdong Province, China), due to contamination with high levels of Bacillus cereus.
- Cosmetic Products Safety Alert (Philippines): The Philippines FDA advises the public that several unapproved cosmetic products containing levels of mercury above the allowable limit have entered the Philippine market . These products should be avoided. Please refer to the Update for a list of implicated products.
- Outbreak Alert (Japan): The fatal norovirus epidemic at Yokohama Denentoshi Hospital has grown to 112 cases, according to The Japan Times. As of today, 82 patients and 30 staff members have been infected. Four elderly bed-ridden patients have died as a result of the infectious gastroenteritis outbreak.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.