Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Stehouwer’s Frozen Foods (Grand Rapids, MI) recalls Stehouwer’s Pigs in the Blanket (12 x 18-oz pkgs per case; Produced Sept. 27, 2012, October 25, 2012 and Dec. 13, 2012; Use by date Sept 27, 2013, Oct. 25, 2013 and Dec 13, 2013) and Stehouwer’s Pigs in the Blanket “FOR INSTITUTIONAL USE ONLY” (5-lb bulk pkgs; Produced Oct 25, 2012; Use by date 102513), due to the presence of undeclared milk.
- Allergy Alert: Wayne Farms (Decatur, AL) recalls GFS® Honey BBQ Flavored Chicken Wings (4 x 4-lb bags/case; Est P-33885; Case code 572160; Production date 11/28/12), due to the presence of undeclared egg. The recalled products were shipped to a foodservice distribution center in Kentucky for distribution at the retail level in Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee.
- Outbreak Alert: The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment reports widespread gastrointestinal illness due to norovirus throughout Colorado, including in nursing homes, assisted living facilities, schools and child care centers.
- Food Safety Recall: Charcuterie Transilvania (Laval, QC) recalls Saucisse ardelenesc (All products sold since December 12, 2012), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was sold only at Charcuterie Transilvania, 806 boulevard Curé-Labelle, Laval, QC.
- Outbreak Alert: Maltese Grocery (Thunder Bay, ON) has shut down its catering operations temporarily after 85 people developed norovirus gastroenteritis as a result of eating food at three events catered by the company, according to a CBC report.
- Outbreak Alert: CBC reports that health officials in southwestern Alberta are investigating an outbreak of more than 30 Salmonella infections, mostly in rural areas. Many of the infections are secondary – spread by household contact.
- Allergy Alert (Netherlands): Unilever Benelux recalls Unox Beef Ragout (Bar code 8712566235735; Expiry date 15/09/17) because the cans may have been filled with goulash soup and thus contain undeclared mustard.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (Israel): Foodlee Sauces Food Products Ltd. recalls Soy Sauce (750g bottle; sell by date 10/19/2013), Sweet Soy Sauce (720g bottle; sell by date 10/19/2013) and Teriyaki Sauce (720g bottle; sell by date 10/19/2013), due to a failure on the fill lines that could affect product safety.
- Outbreak Alert (Japan): The Japan Times reports that six patients have died of norovirus gastroenteritis during an outbreak at Shunkokaihigashi Hospital in Nichinan, Miyazaki Prefecture. In all, 44 patients and staff developed symptoms of gastroenteritis. Separately, 1,184 individuals at 372 companies based in Yamanashi developed food poisoning after they ate boxed lunches bought from the Runrun Lunch catering service.
Australia and New Zealand
- Outbreak Alert (Australia): Health officials in several states are investigating an outbreak cluster of eight confirmed cases of Listeria monocytogenes that have been linked to consumption of Jindi and Wattle Valley brand brie and camembert cheeses. An additional three suspect cases may also be linked to the contaminated cheese. Illnesses have been reported in Queensland (1), Tasmania (1), Western Australia (1), Victoria (2) and New South Wales (3). Cheeses implicated in the illnesses were recalled on December 19, 2012.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.