Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on international and retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
- Allergy Alert: Fiorucci Foods, Inc. (South Chesterfield, VA) recalls Black Bear of the Black Forest Mortadella (2 x 6-8 lb bulk deli pkgs/cs; Case code 510411; Produced Nov 10, 2012; Sell by Feb 10, 2013) and Colosseum Mortadella (2 x 5-7 lb bulk deli pkgs/cs; Case code 50405; Produced Nov 10, 2012; Sell by Feb 10, 2013), because the products contain undeclared pistachio nuts. The recalled Black Bear mortadella was shipped to retailers in New Jersey and New York; the Colosseum mortadella was shipped to distributors in Miami (FL) and Chicago (IL).
- Allergy Alert: Ukrop’s Homestyle Foods recalls Gingerbread Man cookies (2 oz; UPC 72251591109; Code dates 11/08/2012 through 12/16/2012), because some of the products may contain undeclared milk.
- Food Safety Recall: Ocean Beauty Seafoods LLC recalls Lascco brand Nova Salmon (4 oz pkg; UPC 0 72840 01751 7; Pack code 285; Product of Chile) and Nathan’s brand Nova Salmon (3 ox pkg; UPC 0 73030 80368 2; Pack code 285; Product of Chile), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled Nova Salmon was distributed to retailers and distribution centers in Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Texas, Colorado, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Jersey and New York from 11/20/2012 through 12/12/2012.
- Food Safety Alert/Recall: Farmstead Inc. (Providence, RI) recalls jarred vegetables (8 or 16 oz. Ball jars), including carrots, beets, eggplant, zucchini, pickles, tomato jam, meat products, including chicken liver mousse and pork rillettes (4 oz. jars), because they may have been improperly processed, making them susceptible to Clostridium botulinum contamination. Farmstead also has recalled certain soft and semi-soft cheeses, raw milk cheeses, goat cheeses, and any cheeses that are labeled “Keep Refrigerated” and were sold at room temperature in the retail store, d’Artagnan salami (labeled “Keep Refrigerated”) and Proscuitto, salamis, Liverwurst, pâtés, and other meats processed at the store, because these items were improperly stored, displayed or processed. Rhode Island Department of Health warns consumers to avoid eating any of the recalled products, as they represent a significant health hazard.
- Allergy Alert: Yang Tong Trading Inc. recalls Mushroom Flavored Soybean Strips – Carbon Roasts (250g; All product codes; UPC 4 711326 290681), due to undeclared egg and milk, and recalls Mushroom Flavored Soybean Strips – Spicy (250g; All product codes; UPC 4 711326 290148), due to undeclared milk. The recalled products were sold through retailers in Ontario and Quebec.
- Allergy Alert: Nature’s Path Foods Inc. recalls Nature’s Path Hemp Plus Granola (25 lb; BBD June 12, 2013; UPC 0 58449 88001 1), due to undeclared tree nuts. The recalled product was sold to hotels, restaurants and institutions in British Columbia and Quebec.
- Allergy Alert: Pure Indulgent Foods Inc. (Calgary, AB) recalls all product codes of Pure Midnight Magic Chocolate Fruit & Nut Cookies (300g; UPC 8 73376 00105 2), Pure Midnight Magic Large Individual Cookie (75g; UPC 8 73376 00005 5), Pure Sweet Potato Pow! Sweet Potato Cookies (270g; UPC 8 73376 00103 8) and Pure Sweet Potato Pow! Large Individual Cookie (90g; UPC 8 73376 00003 1), because the cookies contain undeclared milk. The recalled products were distributed in Alberta and sold on the Internet via spud.ca.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Loblaw Companies Ltd. recalls Butcher’s Choice Hickory Barbecue Beef Burgers (1.13 kg; All product codes; UPC 0 60383 89364 4) and Butcher’s Choice Garlic Peppercorn Beef Burgers (1.13 kg; All product codes; UPC 0 60383 89363 7), because the products may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recall is the result of an ongoing outbreak investigation.
- Food Safety Recall: Cardinal Meat Specialists Ltd. recall Cardinal Select brand Prime Rib Beef Burgers (1.13 kg pkgs; UPC 0 63351 01561 1; Best before 2013 JL 31; Est 752), because the product may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled product was distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Saucisson Vaudois (Sainte-Brigide, QC) recalls all delicatessen and ready-to-eat meat products sold at Saucisson Vaudois (368, rue Principale, Sainte-Brigide), or sold elsewhere but with “C-291” indicated on the package labels, Grain Doré poultry liver mousse with Port, and Gain Doré brand poultry paté with cranberries and Port, because these products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled products were packaged between November 16th and December 11th, 2012.
- Food Safety Alert: The BC Centre for Disease Control warns the public not to consume any of the following shellfish and seafood products from a private Port Hardy distributor, because of the risk of paralytic shellfish poisoning and botulism: Frozen clams (butter clams and possibly others) in small and large Ziploc bags, Jarred clams (butter clams and possibly others) in 500 ml and 1000ml jars, Frozen BBQ salmon, Canned salmon pieces in clam juice, and any other similar products. The products were sold online and through a Buy and Sell ad on http://www.buyselltrade.ca, and may also have been distributed throughout British Columbia through other mechanisms.
- Allergy Alert (Denmark): Tulip Food Company A/S recalls The Green Butcher Bacon Paté (Produced 03.12.2012; Best before 02.01.2013), because the product contains undeclared gluten and milk protein.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Natoora Ltd. recalls Freshly Sliced Italian Mortadella Sausage (100g; Batch code 351; Use by 23 December 2012), because it contains undeclared pistachio nuts.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Tesco recalls Tesco Finest Belgian Chocolate Salted Caramel and Hazelnut Ice Cream (500 ml; ‘Display until’ end July 2013; Best before end October 2013), because packaging error has resulted in a batch of this product being incorrectly filled with Orange Blossom Honey and Almond ice cream. Individuals who are allergic or sensitive to almonds should not eat this product.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Univeg Belgium recalls Verse Salade Snack Frais / Ham-Jambon Salad bowl (300g; Expiry dates 16/12, 17/12, 18/12, 19/12, 20/12), because the ham may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was sold at Colruyt.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Colruyt recalls Colruyt brand frozen white (breast) chicken (2.5 kg; Lots #0427800320024, 0427800305025, 0427800300025, 0427800283021, 0427800277021), due to traces of a coccidiostatic agent.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Carrefour recalls Carrefour brand Salad Bowl Craq Craq, containing cucumber, tomato and ham (Best before 15/12/12 to 19/12/12), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Spar recalls Fresh Selection / Ham Jambon Bowl (300g; Item #741205; Expiry 13/12, 15/12, 16/12, 17/12, 18/12, 19/12/2012) because the ham may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Food Safety Withdrawal (UK): Asda, The Co-operative and WM Morrison Supermarkets PLC withdraw ASDA Smart Price Mild White Cheddar (385g; Best before 7 February 2013, 8 February 2013, 12 February 2013, 13 February 2013, 16 February 2013, 21 February 2013), ADSA Smart Price Red Leicester (385g; Best before 7 January 2013, 8 January 2013, 9 January 2013, 23 January 2013, 24 January 2013, 25 January 2013), The Co-operative British Mild White Cheddar (250g; Best before 28 January 2013), The Co-operative Value Red Leicester (Best before 26 January 2013), Morrisons M Savers Mild White Cheddar (350g; Use by 21 January 2013, 25 January 2013, 31 January 2013, 3 February 2013, 7 February 2013), Morrisons M Savers Mild White Cheddar (700g; Use by 22 January 2013, 30 January 2013, 4 February 2013), Morrisons M Savers Grated Mild White Cheddar (500g; Use by 10 January 2013, 12 January 2013, 15 January 2013, 21 January 2013), and Morrisons M Savers 10 Mild White Cheddar Cheese Slices (240g; Use by 5 January 2013, 9 January 2013, 11 January 2013, 14 January 2013, 23 January 2013), because the cheeses may be contaminated with small pieces of metal.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1734): Foreign body (mineral particles) in vegetable sauce from Poland; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1735): Salmonella in pork from Denmark; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1736): Methidathion in pomelos from China, via Germany; distributed to Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1737): Salmonella in frozen poultry from Brazil; distributed to Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1738): Mold infestation in melomakarona from Greece; distributed to Cyprus and Greece.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1739): Cronobacter sakazakii in infant food from the Netherlands; distributed to the Netherlands and Poland.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Department of Health warns the public not to buy or consume the oral product Jin Tan 1-Ching-Sung Laxative Tablets, as the product may contain the banned Western drug known as diacetyldiphenolisatin or oxyphenisatin.
Australia and New Zealand
- Outbreak Alert (New Zealand): The New Zealand Herald reports that at least seven people have developed toxic shellfish poisoning in recent days after eating shellfish from the Bay of Plenty. The shellfish were collected from the coastline between Mount Maunganui and Papamoa. The area’s Medical Officer of Health reminds the public that the health warning due to shellfish toxins along this coastline was still in place.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Outbreak Alert (Chile): ABC News reports that more than 200 people were treated for food poisoning in Chile after eating hot dogs at a family benefit outing in San Jose de Maipo, southeast of Santiago.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.