Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on international and retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
- Allergy Alert: Haggen Northwest and TOP Food and Drug advised their customers that Ivar’s Clam Chowder (20 oz; Sell by Feb 25, 2013) has been recalled by the manufacturer due to incorrect ingredient and UPC labeling.
- Food Safety Recall: Taylor Farms Retail, Inc. (Salinas, CA) recalls Taylor Farms Hearts of Romaine (10 oz bag; UPC 0 30223 04032 3; Package code TFRS332A09; Best by 12-13-12), after FDA finds Listeria monocytogenes in a single random sample. The recalled product was distributed in California and Florida.
- Allergy Alert: Canadian Trade House (Calgary, AB) recalls the following imported Hot Stuff Food Xpress brand pizza and calzone products, because the products contain undeclared mustard: Pepperoni Pizza (955g; UPC 7 95835 86572 5), Sausage/Pepperoni Pizza (1.01 kg; UPC 7 95835 86573 2), Supreme Pizza (1.07 kg; UPC 7 95835 86574 9), Pepperoni Stuffed Calzone (213g; UPC 7 99847 86516 2) and Sausage and Pepperoni Stuffed Calzone (213g; UPC 7 99847 86517 9). The recalled products were distributed nationally.
- Allergy Alert: Metro Plus (Quebec, QC) recalls Sucre à la crème (Best before 1 January 2013; Packaged 1 December 2012), due to the presence of undeclared nuts.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Loblaw Companies Ltd. (Brampton, ON) recalls Butcher’s Choice Garlic Peppercorn Beef Burgers, frozen (1.13 kg pkgs; UPC 0 60383 89363 7; Best before 2013 MR 03; Est 752), because the product may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled product has been distributed nationally. This recall was triggered by an ongoing investigation into what the Canadian Food Inspection Agency describes as a “…number of E. coli O157:H7 related illnesses in Canada.”
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Globus SB-Warenhaus Holding GmbH & Co. recalls Globus brand American-style pizzas (Best before March 2013 to November 2013), because the products may contain small pieces of metal.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Molkerei Domäne Mechtildshausen recalls Domänen Milch fresh 3.7% fat pasteurized whole milk (1 liter bottles; Use by 13.12.2012 to 20.12.2012), because of residues of hydrogen peroxide in the milk.
- Outbreak Alert (UK): Five hospitals in north Wales are dealing with norovirus outbreaks involving a total of 31 patients, according to BBC. Visitors are being urged to cooperate in efforts to stop the outbreaks at Ysbyty Gwynedd, Dolgellau, Colwyn Bay, Glan Clwyd and Wrexham Maelor hospitals. Admissions have been restricted at eight wards.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1723): Salmonella contamination and elevated Enterobacteriaceae count in dog chews from India; distributed to Switzerland.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating a suspected outbreak of food poisoning involving eight individuals who developed symptoms of gastroenteritis after eating at a restaurant in Wan Chai.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.