Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on international and retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
- Allergy Alert: ALDI recalls Carlini Baking Spray, “made with Real Flour”, “Naturally Gluten-Free Food” (5-oz; Sold beginning Oct 28, 2012), due to contradictory label claims. The product contains wheat flour and is not gluten-free.
- Allergy Alert: Nature’s Path Foods recalls Nature’s Path Hemp Plus Organic Granola (25 lb; Sell by dates 6/12/13 to 6/14/13), Nature’s Path Hemp Plus Organic Granola, Bulk (25 lb; Sell by dates 6/12/13 to 6/14/13) and Nature’s Path Hemp Plus Organic Granola, RW (Sell by dates 6/12/13 to 6/14/13), because the product may contain undeclared almonds.
- Outbreak Alert: Ninety out of 220 people who attended a meeting of the Women’s Healthcare Associates at the Oregon Zoo developed symptoms consistent with norovirus. The event, which was held on December 5th, was catered by Zoo staff, according to The Oregonian.
- Pet Food Product Withdrawal: Claudia’s Cuisine recalls DogCandy® Holiday Hound Cake (7.5 oz; UPC 692614010041; Best by 08-2015) and DogCandy® Blueberry Hound Cake (7.5 oz; UPC 692614010058; Best by 08-2015), because the cakes have the potential to become moldy as a result of a higher than usual moisture content. The cakes were distributed to approximately 130 PetSmart stores in Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin.
- Food Safety Recall: Golden Boy Foods Ltd. (Burnaby, BC) recalls Golden Boy brand Inshell Mixed Nuts (1.36 kg/3-lb mesh bags; UPC 0 64684 10948 0), because the nuts may be contaminated with Salmonella. The product was distributed in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan (Extra Foods, No Frills, RCWC, Shop Easy / SuperValu, Superstore, Westfair, YIG), New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island (Cash & Carry/RCWC, Dominion, Freshmart / Red & White, No Frills, , Save Easy, Superstore), Ontario (Cash & Carry/RCWC, Freshmart, Loblaws, No Frills, Superstore, Valu-mart, YIG, Zehrs), and Quebec (Loblaws, Maxi & Cie, Maxi, Provigo).
- Allergy Alert (UK): Asda withdraws Asda Chosen by You Pad Thai Cooking Paste (215g; Date code 18 July 2013), because the product contains undeclared sulphites, egg and gluten (wheat).
- Allergy Alert (UK): Morrisons withdraws Morrisons Just Cheddar Sandwich (Use by 12 December 2012), because it may contain undeclared egg and mustard.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Morrisons withdraws Morrisons Signature Mature Red Cheddar Coleslaw (300g; Use by 13 December 2012), because some may contain cheddar and sundried tomato pasta (containing wheat gluten) that are not mentioned on the allergy statement.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Wagner recalls all varieties of Wagner SENSAZIONE Pizza and Wagner BIG PIZZA (all best before dates between March 2013 (03.2013) and November 2013 (11.2013); Product of Germany), because the products may be contaminated with metal fragments.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): BC Catering recalls Christmas sausage by the meter (Item #61057; Best before 05-12-2012), Lightly salted pork in 1 cm slices (Item #30928; Best before 06-12-2012 and 09-12-2012), Salted pork slices, 13 mm (Item #43193; Best before 06-12-2012 and 09-12-2012), Lightly salted boiling pork (Item #64157; Best before 09-12-2012) and Lightly salted pork, 50-60g slices (Item #93328; Best before 06-12-2012 and 09-12-2102), due to possible Salmonella contamination. The recalled products were sold to restaurants, hotels, cafeterias and other institutional kitchens.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Plumrose Scandinavia A/S recalls Horeca Select spiced sliced sausage (500g; Product of Germany; Best before 28-12-2012), due to Listeria contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Greece): Lidl Hellas & Co. recalls Melomakarona (1 kg cartons; Expiry 31/1/2013), due to mold contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Netherlands): Wagner recalls all varieties of Wagner SENSAZIONE Pizza and Wagner BIG PIZZA (all best before dates between March 2013 (03.2013) and November 2013 (11.2013); Product of Germany), because the products may be contaminated with metal fragments.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Harrods Ltd. recalls Harrods Date and Tea Fruit Cake (740g; Batch code 3771012; Best before 10 March 2013 and 15 April 2013), due to mold spoilage on some of the products.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1708): Salmonella in frozen mechanically separated meat from France; distributed to France, Hungary and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1709): Excessive gluten in low gluten wheat flour from China, via the Netherlands; distributed to the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1711): Listeria monocytogenes in cold smoked salmon from Sweden; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1712): Cadmium in frozen molluscs from Vietnam; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1713): Salmonella in chopped frozen pineapple from Vietnam; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1714): Listeria monocytogenes in spiced and cooked pork flank from Germany; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1715): High lead content in carrots from Turkey; distributed to Bulgaria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1716): Carbofuran in celery leaves from Malaysia; distributed to Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1717): Benzo(a)pyrene in smoked pork ribs from Poland; distributed to Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1718): Foreign body (hair) in biscuits from Romania; distributed to Greece.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1719): Mercury in frozen swordfish from Spain; distributed to Italy.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.