Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on international and retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
- Allergy Alert: Unilever recalls Knorr Pasta & Sauce Cheesy Bacon Macaroni (3.8 oz; UPC 4100008248; Sell by Sep1113BUO and Sep1213BUO), because the product may contain undeclared soy.
- Food Safety Recall: Suzanna’s Kitchen (Duluth, GA) recalls Freebird Fully Cooked Chicken Nuggets (12 x 12-oz cartons/case; Case code 6220; Use by March 15, 2014; Julian code 2075), Freebird Fully Cooked Gluten Free/Soy Free Chicken Patties (12 x 12-oz cartons/case; Case code 6244; Use by September 6, 2013; Julian code 1249) and Fully Cooked Chicken Nuggets (10-lb bulk cases; Case code 6221; Use by March 15, 2014; Julian code 2075), because they may contain pieces of plastic. The bulk cases of Chicken Nuggets were shipped to a foodservice distributor in California for further distribution; the other recalled products were produced for a separate federally-inspected establishment and distributed to retail stores nationwide, including Whole Foods Market.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Qualitest, a subsidiary of Endo Health Solutions, recalls Hydrocodone Bitartrate and Acetaminophen Tablets, USP 10 mg/500 mg (Lot codes beginning with the letter “C”; NDC Numbers 0603-3888-16, 0603-3888-20, 0603-3888-02, 0603-3888-21, 0603-3888-22, 0603-3888-26, 0603-3888-04, 0603-3888-28, 0603-3888-32), because a number of tablets from the affected lots may exceed the weight requirement and could exceed the label claim potency requirements for the ingredients of hydrocodone bitartrate and acetaminophen.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Bayer HealthCare’s Consumer Care division recalls BRONKAID Caplets Dual Action Formula (24 caplets; UPC300240537879; Lot Numbers NAA0B3T, NAA0BDB, NAA0B3P, NAA0B3R, NAA0B3N, NAA070E, NAA070F, NAA03PX, NAA03B5, NAA03B6, NAA02LT) and BRONKAID Caplets Dual Action Formula (60 caplets; UPC 300240537855; Lot Numbers NAA0TF3, NAA0TF2, NAA0TF0, NAA0TF1, NAA0TET, NAA0TEW, NAA0TEX, NAA0HHL, NAA0HHK, NAA0HHN, NAA0HHH, NAA0DK5, NAA0DK4, NAA0DK3, NAA0CHE, NAA0CHD, NAA0B3L, NAA0B3K, NAA09XE, NAA09XB, NAA07H2, NAA09XD, NAA07H1, NAA09XA, NAA09XC, NAA07H3, NAA07H4, NAA05BB, NAA05BA, NAA07H0, NAA070D, NAA070C, NAA03PW, NAA05B9, NAA070B, NAA03B8, NAA03B7, NAA02N1, NAA02LW, 244511P, 244501P, 244481P, 244471P, 244491P, 244451P), because certain information was not included in the BRONKAID Drug Facts labeling beginning in January 2012.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: LifeVantage Corporation (Salt Lake City, UT) recalls Protandim® the Nrf2 Synergizer®, dietary supplement (30 caplets/bottle; Lot #12-0258, 12-0259, 12-0292, 12-0294, 12-0295, 12-0304, 12-0306, 12-0307, 12-0373, 12-0382; Expiration Date 7/2/2015, 7/3/2015, 7/9/2015, 7/11/2015, 7/12/2015, 7/18/2015, 8/16/2015, 8/17/2015, 8/21/2015, 9/21/2015), because the product may contain small metal fragments.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that a total of 248 persons in 34 states have been infected with Salmonella (Salmonella Sandiego, Salmonella Pomona, Salmonella Poona) following contact with pet turtles or their environments.
- Pet Food Safety Alert: FDA warns pet owners and caretakers not to feed pets Nature’s Deli Chicken Jerky Dog Treats (3-lb pkgs; Lot code BESTBY061913DEN), because the treats may be contaminated with Salmonella. The treats, which were manufactured, packaged and distributed by Kasel Associates Inc., were sold at Denver, Colorado area Costco stores. Kasel has declined to recall the product. Costco has removed all of the affected product from its store shelves.
- Allergy Alert: Pure Indulgent Foods Inc. recalls Pure Chili Chocolate Mango Rich Chili Chocolate Cookies (300g; All codes; UPC 8 73376 00108 3) and Second Cup Chili Chocolate Mango Cookies (90g; all codes; UPC 8 73376 00008 6), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled products were sold in Alberta.
- Food Safety Recall: Taylor Shellfish Canada (Fanny Bay Oysters) recalls Salish Mussels brand Mussels (5 lb; Harvest date Dec 02/2012; Lot #7495), due to the presence of marine biotoxin. The recalled mussels were sold in Alberta and British Columbia.
- Food Safety Recall: Cidrerie Michel Jodoin recalls Michel Jodoin Vista Bella Rosé – Sparkling Apple Must – No Alcohol (750 mL; Lot 1112; UPC 6 09780 01002 7) due to patulin contamination. The recalled product was sold in Quebec.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): The Food Safety Authority of Ireland warns consumers that Provitus Kurki (batch 12-2013-355), Podgryzybki (batch 12-2013-148) and Opienki (batch 05-2014-128) marinated forest mushrooms (250g jars; products of Poland) contain undeclared sulphites. The marinated mushrooms were sold in stores nationwide, mainly those selling Eastern European foods.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Patriarche Wine Agencies recalls Chateau Le Bonnat Grand Vin de Bordeaux, Appellations Graves Controllee – Graves 2008 (75 cl), becaue the wine contains undeclared sulphites. The recalled wine was supplied to Co-operative stores.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): ARDO A/S recalls Frigodan brand Pasta Pollo (600g; Packaged 25/8-2012; Best before 25/8-2013 and 28/8-2013), after a piece of a mouse’s head was found in a package of the product.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1685): Undeclared sulphite in marinated mushrooms from Poland; distributed to France, Ireland, Poland and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1687): Salmonella in spring onions from Thailand; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1689): Salmonella infantis in lemon grass from Thailand; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1690): Aflatoxins in shelled pistachios from Iran; distributed to Italy.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Ontrack Pty Ltd. and Big W recall Truly Gifted Spice Rack 12 Bottle Spice Set (375g; Best before 30/11/2013), due to Salmonella contamination in the peppercorn portion of the product. The recalled product was distributed in Big W stores in ACT, NSW, TAS and VIC.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Food Safety Enforcement Action (Argentina): Government agents seized and destroyed 2,000 kilograms of foodstuffs in Córdoba after they were found to have been transported improperly.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.