Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on international and retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
- Food Safety Recall: Cantina Foods (Buffalo, NY) recalls Beef and Cheese Pastellios (cartons containing four plastic bags with 6 x 4-oz pies per bag; sold from Oct 3, 2012 through Nov 20, 2012), because the item was produced without the benefit of federal inspection. In September 2012, the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) carried out a food safety assessment that identified problems with the company’s Listeria monocytogenes control program. The recalled products were distributed to retail establishments in the Buffalo, NY area; individual pies may have been available from heat trays at convenience stores.
- Food Safety Recall: The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC alerts its customers to a recall of Veggie Patch Ultimate Meatless Burger (9 oz; Sell by January 12, 2013; UPC 61012900211), due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall: Gean Farm Inc. (Oxnard, CA) recalls Harry’s Berries Salsa Mild, Harry’s Berries Salsa Hot, and Dill Beans, due to possible botulism risk. The recalled products were sold at Certified Farmers Markets in Ventura, Santa Barbara and Los Angeles counties.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Golden Gate Soy Food, Inc. (San Francisco, CA) that a September 2012 inspection of the company’s food manufacturing facility found serious violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Sol Fish Traders (General Santos City, Philippines) that an evaluation of the firm’s HACCP plan and supporting documentation for processing of tuna products revealed that the firm has serious deviations from the requirements of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Blue Marine Seafoods Trading (General Santos City, Philippines) that an evaluation of the firm’s HACCP plan and supporting documentation for processing of Fresh Frozen Yellowfin Tuna Fillet Treated With Filtered (Tasteless) Smoke revealed that the firm has serious deviations from the requirements of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Ito En (USA) Inc. (Honolulu, HI) that a June-July 202 inspection of the company’s low-acid canned food facility found serious deviations from the low-acid canned food regulations.
- Health Canada Enforcement Action: Health Canada has suspended the Establishment License of Chemi Pharmaceutical Inc. (Mississauga, ON) after uncovering falsified testing results during the course of an inspection. Companies that have had their testing done by Chemi are being asked to temporarily halt sales until the safety of those products can be confirmed. Health Canada has released a list of products and ingredients that are affected by this action.
- Allergy Alert (Finland): Fazer Confectionery Ltd. recalls Fazermint Sweets (350g box; Best before 25/10/2013), because some of the boxes may have been packed with Geisha Dark Chocolate Truffles, and may contain undeclared wheat flour and hazelnuts.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Fromagerie La Houssaye recalls La Houssaye Livarot au lait cru/Livarot raw milk cheese (Lot 9284; Expiry date 03/01/2013), due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled cheese was sold in the départements of Calvados and l’Essonne.
- Food Safety Recall (Italy): Salumificio Gemma di Maghetto dei Fratelli Pavan Snc recalls Salame Rustichella (Lot 0205; Produced 02/05/2012), due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Outbreak Alert (UK): The Health Protection Agency reports that the number of confirmed norovirus cases documented so far this season is 2,313 – a 64% increase over the same period last year.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1664 & 2012.1666): Excessive benzoic acid in root beer from the United States, via Sweden; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1665): Fluazifop-p in potato from the Netherlands; distributed to Belgium.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1667): Cadmium in frozen blackberry puree from Poland, via Switzerland; distributed to Belgium.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1669): Undeclared sulphite in frozen razor clams with raw material from the Netherlands; distributed to Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1670): Carbofuran, metalaxyl and omethoate in long yard beans from Laos; distributed to Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1673): Salmonella in frozen sausage rolls from the Netherlands; distributed to Belgium and the Netherlands.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1675): Undeclared hazelnut and wheat in mint chocolate from Finland; distributed to Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Norway and Sweden.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.