Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on international and retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Ranbaxy Inc. recalls 41 lots of Atorvastatin Calcium Tablets (10 mg, 20 mg and 40 mg), because the tablets may contain very small glass particles (less than 1 mm diameter). Please refer to the recall notice for a complete list of affected lot numbers and pack sizes. The recall was initiated on November 9, 2012, and posted on the Ranbaxy website on or before November 23rd. The recall notice appeared on the FDA site for the first time on November 28th.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Delhaize Belgique recalls Coucou de Malines (Lot #247202; Expiry 26/12/2012; sold from November 20th to November 27th, inclusive) and Poulet jaune biologique (Lot #247201; Expiry 27/12/2012; sold from November 20th to November 27th, inclusive), due to incorrect expiry dates on the packaging.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Ltd. recalls Sainsbury’s Red Tree iced Rich Fruit Cake (900g; All date codes), due to signs of mold spoilage.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Norway): Public Health reports that 11 people have now been confirmed to be infected by a rare strain of Salmonella, called Salmonella Mikawasima. The patients all are adults (20 – 50 years of age) and live in the following counties: Akershus Aust-Agder, Vest-Agder, Hordaland, Oppland, Oslo, Vestfold, Telemark and Nordland. The government is trying to determine the source of this unusual cluster of cases.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1650): Tin in canned mushrooms in brine from China, via Germany; distributed to Slovenia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1651): Incorrect expiry date of chilled organic chicken from Belgium; distributed to Belgium and Luxembourg.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1653): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of chilled Atlantic mackerel from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1654): Bromopropylate in lemons from Turkey; distributed to Slovakia.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Japan): The Japan Times reports that government health officials are warning local governments to be on the alert to norovirus outbreaks. The number of suspected cases of norovirus gastroenteritis currently stands at the highest level since 2006.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.