Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on international and retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
- Food Safety Recall: Capital Packers Inc. (Est 231, Edmonton, AB) recalls Capital brand Ham Sausage (300g; UPC 0 64946 51100 6; Code 2012 DE 26) and Compliments brand Ham Sausage (375g; UPC 0 68820 10061 4; Code 2012 DE 26), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled Capital brand Ham Sausages may have been distributed nationally. The Compliments brand product was sold in Sobeys, IGA and Price Chopper stores in the West. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has suspended Capital Packers’ license to operate at Establishment 231, and warns that additional food products may be added to the Health Hazard Alert recall list. All outstanding inventory at the plant is now under CFIA detention and control.
- Allergy Alert (Finland): CA-SA Välimeren Herkut Oy recalls Shrimp Chili-Aioli and Chili-Aiolissa (180g containers), due to the presence of undeclared celery.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Aerzener Brot und Kuchen GmbH recalls Natreen Strawberry Yogurt, Frozen Sections (4 x 100 pieces/pkg; Lot/Expiry dates L 12048 05/2013, L 12083 06/2013, L 12114 07/2013, L 12145 09/2013, L 12180 10/2013 and L 12297 01/2014), due to suspected hepatitis A virus contamination in the strawberry cubes from China.
- Food Safety Recall (Greece): 58 Viofos Ltd. recalls Organic Radish Seeds for Sprouting (30g; Expiry 06-2015; Packaged by Bavicchi in Italy), because the seeds are contaminated with Bacillus cereus.
- Food Safety Alert (Russia): The Office of the Ministry of Interior in the Sakhalin region has seized 200 Kg of salmon caviar that lacked the required manufacturer’s identification mark. Supporting documents verifying safety and quality parameters also were lacking.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Norway): The Public Health Institute now has received reports of eight cases of infection with Salmonella Mikawasima from six different counties, including Akershus Aust-Agder, Vest-Agder, Hordaland, Oppland, Oslo and Nordland. All of the outbreak victims are adults (20-50 years of age). Salmonella Mikawasima is rarely seen in Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1635): Salmonella in live mussels from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1636): Parasitic infestation of chilled salmon from Poland; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1637): Salmonella in chilled sausage from Italy; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1639): Listeria monocytogenes in paté from Belgium; distributed to Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands and Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1640): Insects in fennel seeds from Italy; distributed to France and Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1641): Listeria monocytogenes in raw milk cheese from France; distributed to Belgium and France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1642): Excessive coumarin in breakfast cereals from Lithuania; distributed to the Czech Republic.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Alert (Australia): The New South Wales Department of Primary Industries warns that paralytic shellfish poisoning toxins above safe levels have been detected in Botany Bay. The Food Authority has warned the public agains eating oysters, mussels, cockles, clams, periwinkles, sea urchins, crabs or the gut of rock lobster or abalone taken from the bay or the Georges River.
- Outbreak Alert (Australia): Royal Caribbean’s Voyager of the Seas was hit by an outbreak of norovirus that sickened some 135 passengers and eight staff members, according to The Telegraph. The ship arrived in Sydney from New Zealand with sick passengers aboard. Boarding of new passengers was delayed while “enhanced” cleaning operations were carried out.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.