Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
For current information on retail distribution of beef products containing Canadian beef recalled due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination please consult the Canada/USA Beef Recall tab.
- Allergy Alert: Whole Foods Market recalls Cookies-by-the-Pound Wedding Cookies and Cookies-by-the-Pound Almondine Wedding Cookies, because they contain undeclared pecans and almonds, respectively. The recalled cookies were distributed in Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee between October 22 and November 15 2012.
- Allergy Alert: Sara Lee® recalls Sara Lee Butter Streusel Coffee Cake (Best by Oct 16, 2013; UPC 3210002342), due to the presence of undeclared pecans. The recalled product was distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Boulder Ice Cream (Boulder, CO) recalls the following ice cream and gelato products that contain peanut ingredients supplied by Sunland Inc., due to potential contamination with Salmonella: Boulder Ice Cream Peanut Butter Cup (16 oz; Best by 08/16-13 or earlier; UPC 65388802142), Sorano Gelato Chocolate Peanut Butter (16 oz; Best by 08-10-13 or earlier; UPC 65388807004), Boulder Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Gelato (5 L Pan; Best by 10-03-12 or earlier; UPC 65388850103), Boulder Ice Cream – Peanut Butter Cup (2.5 Gal Tub; Best by 07-24-12 or earlier), Boulder Ice Cream – Elvis (2.5 Gal Tub; Best by 07-24-12 or earlier), and Yoki Bliss – Peanut Butter (4 x 1 Gal; Mfg Date 09-24-12 or earlier; UPC 65388806112).
- Pet Food Safety Recall: Carolina Prime Pet Inc. recalls Priority Total Pet Care All Natural Bullstrips (5-ct pkg; UPC 0-21130-42080-3; Lot codes 200827 12 S 3195 and 20090312 S3195), after the Colorado Department of Agriculture finds Salmonella in the product. The recalled Bullstrips were sold in Safeway stores in Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Hawaii, Maryland, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, South Dakota, Virginia, Washington DC and Wyoming as well as Vons, Pavilions and Pak ‘N Save stores in California; Randalls and Tom Thumb stores in Texas; Genuardi’s stores in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and Dominick’s stores in Illinois.
- Outbreak Alert (Final Update): CDC reports that the multistate outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes that sickened 22 persons in 13 states and the District of Colubmia appears to be over. Twenty people were hospitalized, and four of the outbreak victims died. Two of the deaths were related to the outbreak illness. The outbreak was traced to contaminated imported Frescolina Marte brand Ricotta Salata Cheese, which was manufactured by Chiarappa S.R.L. (Conversano, Italy).
- Allergy Alert (Denmark): Tamaco Food A/S recalls imported Lactose-free Emmentaler (220g; Best before 12/12/2012, 20/12/2012 and 03/01/2013), because the product contains more than 0.01g of lactose per 100 grams of cheese.
- Food Safety Alert (UK): The Food Standards Agency warns consumers not to eat peanut butter and peanut based products manufactured by Sunland, Inc. and imported from the USA, because of possible Salmonella contamination. Consumers should discard the affected products, which may have been purchased on the internet or from specialist shops that sell imported American food products.
- Food Safety Recall (Finland): Nestlé Finland recalls Puffet IC Vanilla (110 ml; Best before 05.04.2014; Batch code 2286401812), because some pieces may contain metal fragments.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.