Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
For current information on retail distribution of beef products containing Canadian beef recalled due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination please consult the Canada/USA Beef Recall tab.
- Food Safety Recall: Pinnacle Foods Group LLC (Fort Madison, IA) recalls Armour Vienna Sausage Bourbon BBQ Flavored (24 x 5-oz cans per case; Est P-4247; UPC 54100 93824; Use by Sept 7, 2015), because the product may have been underprocessed. The recalled canned sausage products were processed on Sept 7, 2012 and sold to retail establishments nationwide, including Wal-mart.
- Allergy Alert: Loblaw Companies Limited recalls President’s Choice (PC) brand Milk Chocolate Covered Raisins (908g Club Packs; UPC 0 60383 98203 4; Best before 2013 JL 15), because the packages may contain undeclared almonds. The recalled product was distributed nationwide.
- Food Safety Recall: Metro Ontario Inc. recalls Selection brand Baby Dill with Garlic Pickles (1 L; UPC 0 59749 89777 8; Code MTS PD – 05/20/2012 10:37), because the product may contain glass fragments. The recalled product was sold in Ontario and Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall: Charcuterie Noël inc (Montreal, QC) recalls a number of preserved products (glass jars; sold up to and including November 5, 2012), because the items were not produced in a manner that would ensure their microbiological safety and were sold without refrigeration. Please refer to the recall notice for a complete list of affected products.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The Public Health Agency of Canada has confirmed an 18th case of E. coli O157:H7 associated with the consumption of meat from XL Foods Inc. Illnesses were reported from Alberta (8 cases), Newfoundland and Labrador (1 case), Quebec (6 cases), and British Columbia (3 cases, including one visitor to Canada). Six of the 18 outbreak victims were hospitalized; none developed hemolytic uremic syndrome, and all 18 have survived. Ten of the 18 were male; victims’ ages ranged from five to 63 years of age. The earliest reported illness onset date was September 9th, and the most recent was October 15th.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Asda withdraws Asda Milk Chocolate Spread (400g; All batch codes; All Best Before dates), because the product contains undeclared hazelnuts.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Walkers withdraws Walkers Lights Variety 6 Pack (6 x 24g; Best before 12 January 2013 and 19 January 2013), because milk was not mentioned in the list of ingredients.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Match recalls Cora brand Râpé de poulet (150g; Lot #1243511 and 1243211; Expiry dates 25/11/2012 and 22/11/2012, respectively), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Match recalls Cora brand Râpé de jambon fumé (150g; All lots; All expiry dates), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Arla Foods amba Brabrand Dairy recalls Harmonie drinking yogurt with pineapple / elderflower (350 ml; Best before 22/11/2012) and Culture yogurt with raspberries (500g; Best before 19-11-2012), because the products have fermented due to yeast contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Lidl Denmark K/S recalls Golden Sun Rice Pudding (500g; Best before 290914) due to infestation with beetles.
- Food Safety Recall (Greece): Katopodi Bros. SA recalls Ntelimari Salami Air Lefkados (225g pkgs; Expiry 04/12/2012), after Listeria monocytogenes is found in the product.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Northern Ireland): The Public Health Agency reports that the outbreak of E. coli O157 illnesses associated with Flicks restaurant in Cityside Mall, Belfast is now over. As of November 14th, there were 138 confirmed cases and 163 probable cases reported. The investigation into the cause of the outbreak is ongoing.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1568): Soya in rice crackers from the Netherlands; distributed to Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1570): Methomyl in green papaya from Thailand; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.1571): Arsenic and lead in clay powder from the USA; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1574): Salmonella Rissen in frozen beef fat from Lithuania; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1576): Cadmium in rock snails from Italy; distributed to Hungary and Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1577): Salmonella Ndolo in chilled mussels from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.1578): Benzethonium chloride in grapefruit seed extract from Poland; distributed to Latvia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1579): Glass fragments in frozen cake from Denmark; distributed to Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1580): Listeria monocytogenes in radish sprouts from the Netherlands; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1581): Listeria welshimeri and Salmonella group B in alfalfa sprouts from the Netherlands; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1582): Salmonella, Vibrio parahaemolyticus and Vibrio vulnificus in frozen shrimps from Panama; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1586): Defective packaging of tuna spread from Belgium; distributed to Belgium, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.