Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
For current information on retail distribution of beef products containing Canadian beef recalled due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination please consult the Canada/USA Beef Recall tab.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns National Food and Beverage, Inc. (Dallas, TX) that a June 2012 inspection of the company’s facility revealed serious violations of the regulations for acidified foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns I. Shay Cosmetics, Inc. (Gardena, CA) that a February 2012 inspection of the company’s pharmaceutical manufacturing facility found significant violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations for Finished Pharmaceuticals.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Young Ocean, Inc. (Kent, WA) that an April-May 2012 inspection of the company’s manufacturing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Greencore USA, LLC (Byfield, MA) that a June 2012 inspection of the company’s ready-to-eat sandwich manufacturing facility, located in Newburyport, MA, revealed the presence of Listeria monocytogenes in multiple areas of the production environment, including on food contact surfaces where seafood sandwiches were being prepared.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Hohberg Poultry Ranches (Ontario, CA) that inspections carried out at the company’s shell egg production facilities in Ontario (Chino Avenue & S. Grove Avenue) and Fontana (Santa Ana Avenue) found serious violations of the Prevention of Salmonella Enteritidis (SE) in Shell During Production, Storage, and Transportation regulation.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Harrods recalls Leonidas Fresh Belgian Chocolates in Gold Paper Wrapped Box and Gold Ribbon (227g, 454g and 680g; Bset before 3 December 2012) and Leonidas Fresh Belgian Chocolates in Halloween Orange Wrapped Box, Black Ribbon and Small Plastic Pumpkin (227g and 454g; Best before 20 December 2012), because the products contain undeclared wheat (gluten), nuts, milk and egg.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Deutsche See GmbH (Bremerhaven) recalls Red Snapper (from the Indian Ocean off Sri Lanka), due to the presence of ciguatera toxin, a naturally occurring marine biotoxin. The company has learned of 6 to 8 illnesses that may be associated with consumption of the recalled Red Snapper.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Goodman Fielder recalls White Wings Creamies Raspberry Jam and Whipped Cream, White Wings Creamies Whipped Passionfruit Cream, White Wings Creamies Whipped Chocolate Cream, and White Wings Creamies Lemon and Whipped Cream biscuits, because of potential foreign matter (plastic) contamination due to a packaging fault. The recalled biscuits are sold in 200g packages (tan-coloured wrapper), are identified with Best Before dates between 01/11/2012 and 29/06/2013, and were distributed nationally at Woolworths, Coles, Spar, IGA and other independent supermarkets.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.