Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
For current information on retail distribution of beef products containing Canadian beef recalled due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination please consult the Canada/USA Beef Recall tab.
- Allergy Alert: The Raymond-Hadley Corp (Spencer, NY) recalls Wegmans Gluten Free Double Chocolate Brownie Mix (17.2 oz; UPC 077890283363; Enjoy By Dates 30 OCT 2013 through 17 MAR 2014). Wegmans Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Mix (16 oz; UPC 077890303412; Enjoy By dates from 26 Mar 2014 through 24 Apr 2014), Wegmans Gluten Free Honey Cornbread Mix (16 oz; UPC 077890303436; Enjoy By dates 25 Mar 2014 through 16 Apr 2014), and Wegmans Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Mix (15.3 oz; UPC 077890283332; Enjoy By dates 30 Oct 2013 through 12 Apr 2014), because the products may be contaminated with undeclared milk, soy or pecan.
- Food Safety Recall: Wayne Farms Inc. (Decatur, AL) recalls Wayne Farms Fully Cooked Grill Marked White Meat Chicken Strips (900lb combo cases containing 30 x 30lb bags; Case codes 372277174001 through 372277254005; Produced Oct 3, 2012 and once combo case each from Sept. 6, 2012, Sept 19, 2012 and Sept 24, 2012), because the product may contain pieces of a plastic pen. The recalled product was distributed to a facility in Kentucky for further processing into potential retail products.
- Food Safety Recall (Amended): Bolthouse Farms recalls Bolthouse Farms Carrot Chips (16-oz bags; Best by NOV 12 2012 and Nove 13 2012; UPC 71464 17209; Code 04 T XXXX BF 212 J11 and 04T XXXX BF 212 J 12, respectively), Safeway Farms Carrot Chips (16 oz bags; UPC 21130 70217; Best by Nov 13, 2012; Code 06 T XXXX S2682 BF 212 J12 286) and Farm Stand Carrot Chips (16 oz bags; UPC 41163 45311; Best by Nov 12-13 2012; Code 04 T XXXX BF 212 J11-12), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products were distributed in the USA and Canada. Safeway Farms Carrot Chips are sold in Safeway stores in Ketchikan, Alaska; Arizona; California; Hawaii; Idaho; Montana; Nevada; New Mexico; Oregon; and Washington State, as well as Carrs stores in Juneau, Alaska; Pak ‘N Save stores in California; Randalls stores in Texas and Tom Thumb stores in Texas.
- Food Recall: Price Chopper recalls Full Circle Penne Rigate Pasta (12 oz; UPC 36800043275) and Full Circle Rotini Pasta (12 oz; UPC 36800049789), because the products do not meet quality standards.
- Outbreak Alert: CBC reports that an outbreak of norovirus at Montreal’s Jewish General Hospital led to the temporary closure of the hospital’s neurology clinic. Approximately 45 staff members because infected after eating food that may have come from a staff-only coffee shop run by the hospital’s Atrium Café. The coffee shop will remain closed until the cause of the outbreak is determined.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): SuperGros recalls First Price Chopped Tomatoes (400g cans; All Lots), after a metal piece is found in one of the cans.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Dia recalls Dia brand Smoked Trout (150g vacuum packs; Product of Spain; UPC 8 48 0017 032324; Expiry dates 14 November and 18 November), after Listeria monocytogenes is detected in the product.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Food Safety has been notified by Australian authorities that the following product may contain the toxin that causes Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning: Spring Bay Seafoods Pty Ltd Live Blue Mussels (Harvested from Spring Bay, Tasmania, Australia on or after October 22, 2012). Consumers are advised to refrain from eating these mussels.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating three clusters of suspected food poisoning involving a total of five people who developed symptoms of gastroenteritis after consuming desserts purchased at a food premises in Aberdeen on October 31st. All five individuals were hospitalized and are in stable condition.
- Outbreak Alert (Malaysia): The Malaysia Health Ministry reports that a total of 39 food poisoning episodes involving 849 students have been recorded in 16 schools in Sabah so far this year, according to the Daily Express.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.