Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
For current information on retail distribution of beef products containing Canadian beef recalled due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination please consult the Canada/USA Beef Recall tab.
- Food Safety Withdrawal: Rudi’s Organic Bakery, Inc. withdraws Rudi’s Organic Bakery brand Multigrain Oat Bread (22 oz; Lot code 1-173-R; UPC 0-31493-82888-8), Colorado Cracked Wheat Bread (22 oz; Lot code 2-193-R; UPC 0-31493-54373-6), and Cinnamon Raisin Bread (24 oz; Lot code 1-273-R; UPC 0-31493-92183-1), due to the possible presence of metallic objects in select products or product packaging.
- Pet Food Safety Recall: Wildwood Seed & Specialties (Monroe, OR) recalls certain Sleek and Sassy brand bird and small animal foods (Manufacturing codes 01148 through 01241) that contain raw in-shell peanuts from Sunland, Inc. as these products may be contaminated with Salmonella. Please refer to the recall notice for a detailed list of products and their corresponding UPC identifiers.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that a total of 38 persons infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella Bredeney have been reported from 20 states; 10 people are/were hospitalized. The illnesses have been linked to consumption of peanut products originating from Sunland, Inc. (Portales, New Mexico).
- Allergy Alert: Palmoqua Distribution recalls Kakao Berlin Munich Dark 55% Chocolate (5 kg; All codes; UPC 8 15405 01007 9) and Kakao Berlin Chocolate Matches (1.6 kg; All codes; Item #20009800), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled products were distributed to hotel, restaurant and institutional customers in Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall: Intercity Packers Inc. (Edmonton, AB) recalls various beef products due to potential contamination with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled items (please refer to the recall notice for details) were distributed to hotel, restaurant and institutional customers in Alberta, British Columbia and Manitoba.
- Allergy Alert (France): Magasins Leclerc recalls Pom’lisse Marque Repère oven potatoes (600g bag; UPC 3564700030264; All lots), due to the presence of undeclared wheat.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Northern Ireland): The Public Health Agency has confirmed 124 cases of E. coli O157 and is continuing to investigate and additional 166 cases in the outbreak linked to Flicks restaurant in Cityside Mall, Belfast. Anyone who ate at Flicks retaurant since September 24th and has developed symptoms of diarrhea (especially, bloody diarrhea) should seek immediate medical attention.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1485): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of chilled Lophius Piscatorius from Denmark; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1486): Salmonella in curry powder from the Netherlands; distributed to Belgium and the Netherlands.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1487): Undeclared gluten in frozen potatoes from the Netherlands; distributed to France and Portugal.
Australia and New Zealand
- Personal Care Product Safety Recall (Australia): BleachBright recalls KeepBright Teeth Whitening Pen (all lots), because the product contains carbamide peroxide in excess of the recognized safe limit of 18% w/w and may cause irritation or inflammation to the gums and mouth. The recalled product was sold through various distributors in New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.