Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. recalls Wegmans Gluten Free Double Chocolate Brownie Mix (17.2 oz; UPC 77890 28336; All Code dates from 30Oct2013 to 18Mar2013(?)) because the product may contain undeclared pecans and milk. Wegmans began selling this product in May 2012 at 80 retail stores in new York, New jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland and Massachusetts.
- Allergy Alert: BEF Foods Inc., (Columbus, OH) recalls Bob Evans Maple Links (12-oz pkgs; UPC 075900002300, 075900000085, 075900002324; Produced between April 4th and October 19, 2012) and Bob Evans Maple Patties (12-oz pkgs; UPC 0759000025028, 075900000795, 075900002522; Produced between April 4th and October 19, 2012), because the products contain undeclared monosodium glutamate. Recalled fresh product is identified with a Use-by date between Oct. 14, 2012 and Dec 4, 2012; frozen products bear a Julian date code in 0264 through 0365, 1001 through 1365 and 2001 through 2293.
- Outbreak Alert Update (North Carolina): The Department of Health and Human Services reports that 60 children and 38 adults are now known to be/have been infected by E. coli O157 after attending the Cleveland County Fair. One child has died.
- Allergy Alert: Gourmet Trading Company Ltd. recalls Frontier Soups brand Eleven Bean Soup (510g; UPC 7 66694 00107 4; Lot GTMN2012/02/22; Best by 02/22/2014) due to the presence of undeclared tree nuts.
- Food Safety Recall (Greece): AB Vassilopoulos SA recalls AB Wheat Toast Bread (350g and 700g pkgs; Expiration date 31/10/12), because of mold growth on the product.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Nisa Retail Ltd. recalls Heritage Digestive Biscuits (400g; Best before 30 March 2013), because some of the packs may contain pieces of metal.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Northern Ireland): As of October 22nd, the Public Health Agency has confirmed 98 cases and identified 175 additional probable cases of E. coli O157 infections linked to Flicks Restaurant in Cityside Mall, Belfast.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1468): Excessive nitrate in organic baby food from the United Kingdom; distributed to Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1469): Aflatoxins in raw milk from Hungary; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1470): Residue level above MRL for albendazole in corned beef from Brazil; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1471): Unauthorized sulfamethoxazole in acacia honey from Poland; distributed to Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1472): Benzethonium chloride in food supplement from Latvia; distributed to to Estonia and Latvia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1473): Unauthorized color Sudan 1 and Sudan 4 in curry, Tandoori, spices from Mauritius; distributed to Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1474): Benzethonium chloride in food supplement with raw material from the United States, via Estonia; distributed to Latvia.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong & Macao): Johnson & Johnson Consumer (Hong Kong) Limited recalls Nicorette Chewing Piece, 4mg 105’s (Batch No. NL752C; Manufactured by McNeil AB in Sweden), becauase the promotional flag label of 2mg was wrongly affixed to the 4mg packages.
- Proprietary Chinese Medicine Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Pure Health (Hong Kong) Medical Limited recalls Pure Health Stong Plaster, Bon Sante Jiangubao Yitiaogen Huoluotie and Tranaly Plaster, because these products are not registered in Hong Kong.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.