Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
For current information on retail distribution of beef products containing Canadian beef recalled due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination please consult the Canada/USA Beef Recall tab.
- Allergy Alert: Gilster-Mary Lee (Chester, IL) recalls Better Valu Fruit Whirls Ready to Eat Cereal (28-oz plastic bags; Best by JUL 17 13 J8; UPC 79801-24630), because the product contains undeclared almonds. The recalled cereal was distributed between July 24, 2012 and October 16, 2012 to retail stores located in Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia.
- Allergy Alert: The Raymond-Hadley Corp (Spencer, NY) recalls Wegmans Gluten Free Double Chocolate Brownie mixes (17.2 oz; Enjoy by Oct 30 2014 (2013?) through MAR 17 2014), because the products may contain undeclared milk and pecans. Two adverse reactions have been reported.
- Food Safety Recall: Copps, Mariano’s, Metro Market, Pick’n Save and Rainbow advise their customers that Roundy’s Home Run Smash Ice Cream has been withdrawn due to an unspecified health risk. No other details were provided.
- Personal Care Product Safety Withdrawal: Energizer Holdings Inc. withdraws several Banana Boat sun care products (see recall notice for details) due to a potential risk of product igniting on the skin if contact is made with a source of ignition before the product is completely dry.
- Outbreak Alert Update: As of today, 106 people – 64 children and 42 adults – are known to have been infected by E. coli after attending the Cleveland County Fair in North Carolina. One child has died. Twelve individuals (including the deceased child) have been or currently are hospitalized. Animal exposure at the fair is thought to be the source of the outbreak.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The New Mexico Department of Health and CDC have confirmed a case of Salmonella Bredeney in a 5-year-old girl from Roosevelt County. The child ate multiple products containing peanut butter. This brings the total number of confirmed cases of Salmonella Bredeney infections to 36 people in 20 states.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that a total of 219 people from 34 states have been infected with outbreak strains of Salmonella Sandiego, Salmonella Pomona and Salmonella Poona as a result of exposure to small pet turtles or their environments. Thirty-six people required hospitalization.
- Food Safety Recall/Alert: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns the public not to consume, sell or serve Earthbound Farm Baby Spinach Grab & Go Salad Kit with Peanuts (3.5 oz; UPC 0 32601 08875 0; All dates), because the product contains peanuts recalled by Sunland, Inc. in the USA and may be contaminated with Salmonella. The Salad Kit was sold in certain stores in Ontario and British Columbia and has been recalled by importers and retailers.
- Food Safety Alert/Withdrawal: CBC News reports that Sobeys has withdrawn whole Atlantic salmon from its Maritimes stores after sea lice were reported in the salmon.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The Public Health Agency of Canada reports an additional confirmed case of E. coli O157:H7 in the province of Quebec, bringing the total number of confirmed cases relating to consumption of beef products from XL Foods to 16 illnesses in four provinces: Alberta (7), Newfoundland and Labrador (1), Quebec (5) and British Columbia (3).
- Allergy Alert (UK): Morrisons recalls Morrisons Celery, Fruit and Peanut Salad (250g; Use by 27 October 2012), due to the presence of undeclared wheat and gluten.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Asda recalls Asda Free From 5 Caramel Wafers (Best before 24 December 2012, 14 January 2013, 21 January 2013) and Asda Free From 5 Chocolate Wafers (Best before 3 December 2012, 21 January 2013), because the products may contain gluten at levels higher than those permitted for products labeled ‘gluten-free.’
- Allergy Alert (UK): Home Farm Speciality Foods withdraws various Home Farm Foods brand savoury sauce products (Best before up to and including August 2013), because of inconsistent allergen information provided on the label with respect to celery, sulphites and wheat. Affected products include: Beef Stock (450g), Black Bean Sauce (212g), Chicken and Rib sauce (395g), Chicken Casserole sauce (470g), Chicken Stock (450g), Diane Sauce (395g), Hoi Sin & Chilli Sauce (212g), Hoi Sin Sauce (212g), Plum Sauce (212g), Red Wine Casserole Sauce (470g), Rich Beef Casserole Sauce (470g), Roast Beef Gravy (450g), Roast Chicken Gravy (450g), and Sausage Casserole Sauce (470g).
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): S.p.r.l Bella Sicilia recalls Marte Ricotta Marzotica (2kg & 700g; Lot 09/11/2012 & 27/11/2012), and Marte Ricotta Torretta (between 850g and 1000g; Best before 23/11/2012; Lot 231112), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Ardo A/S recalls Danish fine peas, frozen (575g; Best before 04.03.2014), after mouse droppings were found.
- Food Safety Recall (Finland): Semper Oy Ab recalls Semper gluten-free oatmeal (Best before date 26.09.2013, time 00.00 to 08.30), because the product contains deoxynivalenol (a mycotoxin) in excess of the allowable limit.
- Food Safety Alert (Germany): The Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety warns of adulterated liquor from the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Alert (Sweden): The National Food Authority has determined that five samples of fake beef contained the dye azorubine E122. There is no health risk associated with this dye; however, its use is prohibited in both beef and pork. The fraudulent dyed beef was labeled as originating from Hungary or Argentina.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Northern Ireland): As of October 18th, the Public Health Agency has received reports of 29 confirmed cases and 202 probable cases of E. coli O157 infections linked to Flicks restaurant in Cityside Mall, Belfast. None of the confirmed cases are in children; 15 people have been hospitalized since the start of the outbreak, most of whom have been released.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Netherlands): The Netherlands’ RIVM reports 950 Salmonella Thompson illnesses associated with the consumption of smoked salmon recalled by Foppen. Three deaths have been reported.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (China): Approximately 365 students in Yunnan province developed fever and diarrhea after consuming a school meal last week. One hundred and ten of the students were confirmed to be suffering from infectious diarrhea of an unspecified origin.
Australia and New Zealand
- Outbreak Alert (Australia): The bride and seven wedding guests became ill with symptoms of food poisoning after a wedding at Fraser’s restaurant in Kings Park, Perth. More than 100 people attended the celebration, according the a report in The West Australian.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.