Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
For current information on retail distribution of beef products containing Canadian beef recalled due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination please consult the Canada/USA Beef Recall tab.
- Allergy Alert: Publix Super Markets recalls Publix Premium Frozen Tempura Shrimp, because the dipping sauce packet included with the product contains undeclared soy.
- Food Safety Recall: Mondelēz Global LLC recalls Green & Black’s Organic Peanut and Sea Salt Milk Chocolate Bar (3.5 oz; UPC 708656100562; All Best By dates), because the product contains peanuts supplied by Sunland and may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was sold in retail and specialty stores nationwide.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns James G. Cole, Inc., dba Maxam Nutraceutics (Hood River, OR) that a March 2012 inspection of the company’s dietary supplement manufacturing facility found serious violations of FDA’s Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) in Manufacturing, Packaging, Labeling, or Holding Operations for Dietary Supplements regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Mid Pac Foods, Inc. (Honolulu, HI) that a June 2012 inspection of the company’s food processing facility found significant deviations from the requirements of the Acidified Food regulations described in Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Finca Cohobas, Inc. (Arecibo, PR) that an April-May 2012 inspection of the company’s shell egg production facility found serious violations of the Prevention of Salmonella Enteritidis (SE) in Shell Eggs During Production, Storage, and Transportation regulation (the shell egg regulation).
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Tropical Seafood, Inc. (Lockport, LA) that a July 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation, and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Creation’s Garden Natural Products, Inc. (Valencia, CA) that a January-March 2012 inspection of the company’s dietary supplement manufacturing, packaging, and labeling facilities found significant violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations for Dietary Supplements.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns AHN International, Inc., d/b/a Amazing Herbs Nutraceuticals (Buford, GA) that a May 2012 inspection of the company’s dietary supplement manufacturing, repacking and distributing firm found serious violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for dietary supplements.
- Food Safety Recall: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency alerts the public that PureFit brand Peanut Butter Crunch bars (56.7g; UPC 8 12787 00100 8; Best by 1 March 2013, 12 July 2013) and PureFit brand Peanut Butter Crunch (box of 15; UPC 8 12787 00200 5; Best by 1 March 2013, 12 July 2013) have been recalled by the US manufacturer because they may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Food Safety Recall: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency alerts the public that several beef products have been added to the list of beef and beef products recalled due to possible contamination with E. coli O157:H7.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert (UK): The Health Protection Agency has documented seven cases of Salmonella Enteritidis PT1 infections following consumption of a pasteurized liquid egg product sold through Myprotein® and Nutri Centre websites and Nutri Centre stores. The outbreak strain was recovered from a sample of the pasteurized egg product. On October 10th, Myprotein recalled Myprotein brand Free Range Liquid Egg Whites. The Food Standards Agency is working to identify the source of the eggs used in the product.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Endrup Andelsmejeri recalls Landsbyost cheese (approx 1.3 kg pieces; Shelf life to 23 December 2012), due to mold contamination as a result of leaks in the container weld.
- Outbreak Alert (Northern Ireland): The outbreak of E. coli illnesses linked to Flicks restaurant at Cityside Mall, Belfast has grown to 20 confirmed and 150 suspected cases, according to BBC reports.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1438): Excessive Escherichia coli count in oysters from France; distributed to Denmark, France, Norway, Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1440): Ochratoxin A in rye flour from Poland; distributed to Ireland, Poland and the USA.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1442): Parasitic infestation with Pseudoterranova in chilled monkfish from France; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1443): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of chilled monkfish from Denmark; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1445): Bulging packaging of portion-packed liverwurst from Germany; distributed to Austria, Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1447): Salmonella Derby in chilled pork meat with garlic and pepper from Denmark; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1448): Anthraquinone in green tea leaves from India; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1449): Worm in chocolate with raisins and nuts from Poland; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1450): High iodine content in dried seaweed from South Korea, via Austria; distributed to France and Germany.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating an outbreak of acute gastroenteritis at a seniors home in North District involving 18 residents and three staff members. Rectal swabs or stool specimens of three residents have tested positive for Norovirus.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.