Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: The Kellogg Company recalls Kellogg’s Frosted Mini-Wheats Bite Size Original Cereal (18-oz carton with UPC 3800331829, or 3800073444, 24-oz carton with UPC 3800031834, 30-oz carton with UPC 3800046954; Best before APR 01 2013 KB – SEP 21 2013 KB), Kellogg’s Frosted Mini-Wheats Bite Size Original Cereal (70-0z club store carton; UPC 3800031921; Best before APR 01 2013 KB – JUL 29 2013 KB), Kellogg’s Frosted Mini-Wheats Bite Size Original Cereal (single-serve bowl; UPC 3800004961; Best before 04013 KB – 09213 KB), Kellogg’s Frosted Mini-Wheats Bite Size Original Cereal (single-serve carton; UPC 3800021993; Best before AP 04013 – AP 09213 or FK 04013 – FK 09213), Kellogg’s Mini-Wheats Unfrosted Bite Size Cereal (single-serve carton; UPC 3800021983; Best before FK 04013 – FK 09213) and Kellogg’s Mini-Wheats Unfrosted Bite Size Cereal (18-oz carton; UPC 3800035982; Best before APR 01 2013 KB – SEP 21 2013 KB), because of the possible presence of fragments of flexible metal mesh from a fault manufacturing part. The recalled products were distributed nationwide to retailers and food service suppliers, including US Foods.
- Food Safety Recall: General Mills recalls Cascadian Farm Sweet & Salty Peanut Pretzel Bars, Cascadian Farm Sweet & Salty Mixed Nut Granola Bars, Cascadian Farm Peanut Butter Chip Chewy Granola Bars, Cascadian Farm Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Chewy Granola Bars, and Cascadian Farm Trail Mix Dark Chocolate Cranberry Chewy Granola Bars (Best if Used By: 01NOV2012 and 02NOV2012), because these products may contain peanut pieces from Sunland, Inc., and may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Millington Seafood, LLC that an August 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Nick & Katie’s Inc. (New Orleans, LA) That a May-June 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious deviations from FDA’s Low-Acid Canned Food regulations and Acidified Foods regulations, and with applicable parts of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) provisions.
- Allergy Alert (Finland): FK Trube Oy Kuopiosta recalls Blueberry-Raspberry Filled Bun (225g; Best before 16/10/2012), due to a packaging error that may have resulted in some packages containing Apple-filled buns. These incorrectly filled packages contain undeclared apple and cinnamon.
- Allergy Alert (Luxembourg): Revogan recalls Valpiform pain de mie (Lot #12144; Best before 14/08/2012, 05/09/2012, 21/08/2012) because the “peanut-free” products contain traces of peanut.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Johma Salades BV recalls Salmon Salad due to possible contamination with Salmonella Thompson. The recalled salad was sold by Aldi Nord in the regions of Bremen, Lower Saxony and North Rhine-Westphalia.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Germany): The outbreak of acute gastroenteritis that sickened more than 11,000 people was traced to contaminated strawberries that originated in China.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Alert/Recall (UK): Sanofi Pasteur MSD recalls 16 batches of Typhim Vi typhoid vaccine (distributed from 7 January 2011 onward) following filling problems in the manufacturing process that may have reduced the effectiveness of the vaccine.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1400): Salmonella Dublin in beef meat from Ireland; distributed to Denmark.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1401): Undeclared sulphite in dried goji berries from China; distributed to Gibraltar and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1403): Pseudomonas aeruginosa in spring water from Poland; distributed to Poland and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1404): Salmonella Amersfoort in laurel leaves, oregano, basil from Turkey, via Germany; distributed to Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1405): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of chilled monktail from the United Kingdom; distributed to Italy.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.1406): Salmonella infantis in processed animal proteins from the Netherlands; distributed to Belgium.
- Food Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.1408): Arsenic in food supplement from Belgium; distributed to Belgium, Estonia, Luxembourg and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety/Outbreak Notification (EU #2012.1409): Foodborne outbreak suspected to be caused by frozen strawberries from China; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1411): Glass fragments in mackerel fillet with olive oil from Spain; distributed to Austria and Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1412): Aflatoxins in dried figs from Turkey; distributed to Denmark.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Proprietary Medicine Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Yeung Ng Tong Medical Manufactory Limited recalls Tiao Jing Bu Xue Pills and Yeung Ng Tong Tin Hee Pills, after the Department of Health laboratory detected the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs diclofenac and indomethacin in a sample of the product.
- Outbreak Alert (India): An outbreak of gastroenteritis in Gandhi Camp area of Batala in Gurdaspur district has claimed eleven lives. Thirty other people are recovering in hospital, and twenty others who also were hospitalized have since recovered. The outbreak was due to the mixing of sewage with potable water.
Australia and New Zealand
- Pharmaceutical Product Alert/Recall (Australia): Sanofi-Aventis Australia Pty Ltd recalls Typhim Vi 0.025mg/0.5mL Salmonella typhi Vi polysaccharide vaccine injection syringe (Syringe Batch #E1246, G0461, H0078, H0101, H0198 H0507; Expiry 10/2012, 08/2013, 01/2014, 02/2014, 04/2014, 09/2014 respectively, because the affected batches may have lower than expected antigen content, which may result in reduced efficacy. The results of recent investigations by Sanofi Pasteur suggest heterogeneity (non-uniformity) in the content of the active component (polysaccharide) in some syringes within these batches.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.