Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
For current information on retail distribution of beef products containing Canadian beef recalled due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination please consult the Canada/USA Beef Recall tab.
- Allergy Alert: Whole Foods Market recalls Roasted Garlic and Eggplant Soup (24-oz containers; Sell by October 4, 2012), because the container actually hold Lobster Bisque and contain undeclared shellfish and milk. The recalled soup was sold in Whole Foods Market stores in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Maine, Connecticut, New York and New Jersey between September 29 and October 2, 2012.
- Food Safety Recall: Xan Confections recalls 13 of its peanut butter chocolate products, because the peanut butter may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products were distributed from May 28, 2012 through Sept. 28, 2012 at retail locations in California, Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, and Nova Scotia (Canada), as well as over the Internet.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Grindstone Neck of Maine, LLC (Winter Harbor, ME) that a July/August 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns C.C. & Son Farms, Incorporated (Ripon, CA) that an April 2012 inspection of the company’s shell egg production facility found serious violations of the Prevention of Salmonella Enteritidis in Shell Eggs During Production, Storage, and Transportation regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Petaluma Farms (Petaluma, CA) that a March-April 2012 inspection of the company’s shell egg production facilities found serious violations of the Prevention of Salmonella Enteritidis in Shell Eggs During Production, Storage, and Transportation regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns The American Bottling Company, Inc. (Plano, TX) that a March 2012 inspection of the company’s manufacturing facility found serious violations of the juice Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Cape Florida Seafood, Inc. (Miami, FL) that a May-June 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing establishment found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert Update: Saskatchewan Ministry of Health is investigating 13 cases of E. coli in the province to determine whether they are linked to the recall of E. coli O157:H7-contaminated beef from XL Foods. For an updated list of recalled beef, please consult the Canada/USA Beef Recall page.
- Food Safety Recall: Nestle Canada Inc. recalls Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream (11.4L; Batch codes 22080375 BB 2014 07 26 & 22090375 BB 2014 07 27), due to Salmonella contamination. The recalled ice cream was distributed to hotels, restaurants and institutional clients in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Saskatchewan and Yukon.
- Allergy Alert (Denmark): Coop Trading A/S recalls Coop Penne Rigate Pasta (500g; Best before 19/9-2014) and Coop Spaghetti Pasta (1 kg; Best before 19/9-2014), due to the presence of undeclared egg.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Albert Heijn recalls the following Albert Heijn brand smoked salmon, manufactured by Foppen, due to Salmonella contamination: AH gerookte zalmblokjes, AH gerookte zalmfilet, AH gerookte zalmsnippers, AH sandwich zalmplakken, AH warmgerookte zalm, AH warmgerookte zalmstukken, AH zalmsalade, Euro Shopper gerookte zalmfilet, AH Excellent schotse zalmfilet, AH Excellent seizoenszalm, AH Excellent zalmhaasje gerookt, AH puur&eerlijk Sockey zalm.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Lubna Foods Ltd. recalls Manzoor Dry Dates (25kg; Best before end December 2013) and Chuwara Supreme Dry Dates (6 x 1 kg; Batch 171 12; Best before 20 December 2013), because the products may be infested with insects.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Lightbody Ventures Ltd. recalls all batch codes of Annabel Karmel Apple and Blackcurrant Oaty Chewy Bars bearing Disney characters (110g and 132g packs) and Annabel Karmel Apple and Raspberry Oaty Chewy Bars bearing Disney characters (110g and 132g packs), because the products may be infested with insects.
- Food Safety Alert (Italy): The public prosecutor in Bari has ordered the seizure nationwide of the following cheeses manufactured by Fattorie Chiarappa, because cheese produced by this manufacturer was linked to an outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes in the USA: Ricotta frescolina marte tipo toscanella, Ricotta Torretta Marte, Ricotta frescolina Marte arrostita, Ricotta marzotica Marte tipo greca, and Ricotta marzotica Marte.
- Food Withdrawal (Denmark): Rieber & Son Denmark A/S withdraws AH Sausage Ketchup (900g; Lot #3028437; Best before 24-02-2013), due to gas production in the product by lactic acid bacteria.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Germany): The outbreak of acute gastroenteritis has grown to 10,008 confirmed cases in Brandenburg (3,132), Berlin (2,655), Sachsen (approx 3,200), Sachsen-Anhalt (57) and Thüringen (964). The outbreak patients are associated with canteens at 416 schools and child care centers in those states.
- Outbreak Alert (Netherlands): BBC reports that approximately 200 people have become ill after consuming smoked salmon contaminated with Salmonella Thompson.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1373): Diazinon in yellow peas from Russia; distributed to Portugal and Spain.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1374): Lack of clear allergen labeling on soft drink from Jamaica; distributed to United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1375): Suspected histamine in butterfish from Spain; distributed to Latvia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1376): Tin in canned artichoke hearts from China; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1377): Salmonella typhimurium in chilled boneless beef from Lithuania; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1379): Cadmium in large chilled dried anchovies from China; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1381): Salmonella typhimurium in fresh chicken meat from France; distributed to France, Germany and Luxembourg.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1382): Salmonella Thompson in smoked salmon from Greece; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1383): Listeria monocytogenes in ready to eat pork meat product from France; distributed to France and Switzerland.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1384): Traces of egg in muffins from Hungary; distributed to Slovenia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1385): Listeria monocytogenes in chilled ready to eat salad and side dishes from Denmark; distributed to Denmark and Sweden.
Australia and New Zealand
- Outbreak Alert (New Zealand): A Norovirus outbreak has sickened 45 patients and 45 staff members at Auckland’s Middlemore Hospital according to a report from The New Zealand Herald. Children will be barred from the wards until the outbreak is over and the alert has been lifted.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.