Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Maine Natural Health recalls Whey Protein Concentrates sold under various brands and names, because the products contain undeclared milk, shellfish and/or coconut. Please refer to the recall notice for details.
- Food Safety Recall: Earth Balance, division of GFA Brands, Inc. (Niwot, CO) recalls Earth Balance Almond Butter (16 oz. jar; Best By dates between May 2013 and September 2013; UPC 3377610090), manufactured by Sunland, Inc., because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Medical Device Safety Recall: Stryker recalls Neptune Waste Management System devices after receiving two reports of serious injury as a result of tissue damage. Please refer to the recall notice for details.
- Food Safety Recall: Coast Citrus Distributors, Inc. and its divisions Coast Tropical and Olympic Fruit & Vegetable recall Coast Tropical Brand Fresh Mangoes (Product of Mexico; 8-12 count case; PLU’s 3114, 4051, 4311, 4584, 4959), packed at Agricola Daniella (Sinaloa, Mexico), due to reports of Salmonella Braenderup illness potentially associated with mangoes from Agricola Daniella.
- Food Safety Recall: Falcon Trading Company, Inc./ SunRidge Farms (Royal Oaks, CA) recalls Sunridge Candy – Energy Nuggets (10-lb case; Lot codes 2351244; 2361244; 2411244; 2421244; 1851217; 1871217; 1881817; 1911217; 1921217; 1931217; 1941217; 1951217), Sunridge Candy – Peanut Butter Power Chews (10-lb case; Lot codes 2511230; 2541230; 2551230; 2561230 2361214; 2371214; 2401214; 2211283 2221283; 2271283; 2281283; 2011212 2021212; 2051212; 2061212; 2071212 2081212; 1711269; 1721269; 1731269; 1741269; 1771269; 1781269) and Sunridge Snack Mix- Treasure Trove Mix (20-lb case; Lot codes 2051213; 2271263), because the products contain peanut butter supplied by Sunland, Inc. and may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that 30 persons have been infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella Bredeney in 19 states, including 4 persons who were hospitalized. Epidemiological investigations indicated that Trader Joe’s Valencia Creamy Salted Peanut Butter made with Sea Salt is a likely source of this outbreak. Please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab for an updated list of recalled items and their retail distribution.
- Allergy Alert: Morrisons recalls Morrisons Trio Houmous (210g; Use by 27 September 2012), because the product contains undeclared egg.
- Food Safety Alert (UK): The Food Standards Agency has updated its warning regarding Czech spirits that contain more than 20% alcohol, following reports that the number of methanol poisoning related deaths in the Czech Republic has risen to 24. Following is a list of affected brands: AB Style Tuzemák, Albánská Borovička, Lašský Tuzemák, Likerka Drak Original Tuzemák, Likerka Drak Original Vodka Jemná, Meruňka, Švestková vodka, Vodka Lunar, and Wodka Frederic.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): I/S Slagtergården Engros recalls Cooked Sausage (Batch No. 190 SK; Package Date 14-09-2012), due to contamination with Listeria.
- Food Safety Withdrawal (Ireland): Holle Baby Food GmbH withdraws Holle Organic 3-Grain Porridge Baby Food (Product of Germany; Batch code R11171; Best before 25/04/2013), due to the detection of the mycotoxin, ochratoxin A above the permitted limit.
- Cosmetic Product Safety Recall (Spain): The Spanish Agency for Drugs and Health Products mandates the recall of CREMA BLANQUEANTE SKIN LIGHT CAROTTE and LABIDJANAISE LAIT TRAITANT ECLAIRCISSANT POUR LA TEINT, because the products contain the active pharmaceutical agents clobetasol and hydroquinona.
- Outbreak Alert (Wales, UK): Fifty-one guests and 23 staff members were infected with norovirus at the Hilton Hotel in Langstone, according to BBC. The victims complained of diarrhea and vomitting. The hotel remains open.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1358): Histamine in chilled tuna fillet from Ecuador, via France; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1359): Glass fragments in sausage from Germany; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1360): Salmonella in dandelion; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1361): Parasitic infestation of dates from Tunisia; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1362): Listeria monocytogenes in smoked salmon from Lithuania; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (Singapore): SuperNature Pte Ltd. recalls Holle brand Organic 3-Grain Porridge – rice, maize and millet (250g; Lot R11171; Best before 25/04/2013), because the product may contain high levels of ochratoxin A.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.