Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: 3fish, inc (Gastonia, NC) recalls all seafood cakes and stuffed fish items that contain onions produced by Gills Onions (use-by dates between 9/10/2012 and 9/15/2012), due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled items were distributed along the east coast in retail stores and repackaged at store level. The following products were sold to Harris Teeter, Ingles, MDI (Merchants Distributors Inc), and US Foodservice: Maryland Crab Cake Bulk, Stuffed Salmon (8ct), Charl Crab Cake Bulk, Stuffed Tilapia (8ct), Crab Stuffing – Bucket, Stuffed Flounder (8ct), Signature Lump Crab Cake, Devil Stuffed Crab (10ct), Carolina Style Crab Cakes (4oz), Devil Stuffed Crab (3oz), Carolina Style Crab Cakes (.5oz), Premium Lobster Cake (3oz), and MD Crab Cakes – Value Tray Pack.
- Pet Food Safety Recall: Breeder’s Choice Pet Food recalls Breeder’s Choice AvoDerm Natural Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Adult Dog Formula (26 lb; Product Code/SKU 1000065074; UPC 0 5290702043 8; Best before 28 Aug 2013, 29 Aug 2013, and 30 Aug 2013), due to possible contamination with Salmonella. Recalled products were distributed to retailers and distributors in California, Georgia, Illinois, Nevada, Virginia and Washington.
- Food Safety Alert (Rhode Island): The Rhode Island Department of Health is advising residents, staff, volunteers, family and friends who attended a cookout at the Rhode Island Veterans Home in Bristol on Friday, Sept. 7, 2012 and ate uncooked onions that they may have been exposed to Listeria monocytogenes. The onions were supplied to U.S. Foods by Gills Onions.
- Food Safety Recall – Retail Distribution: Ricotta Salata Frescolina Brand cheese, which was recalled on September 10th after being linked to 14 cases of Listeria monocytogenes infections, was sold in Whole Foods Market stores and in QFC stores, according to notices posted on the retailers’ web sites.
- Allergy Alert: Bardahl’s Foods recalls Bardahl’s Potato Lefsa (400g; UPC 6 22876 00100 6; No lot codes), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled product was sold in Alberta and Saskatchewan.
- Food Safety Recall: Les Produits Alimentaires Berthelet Inc. recalls Nappe Blanche Wild Mushroom Sauce Mix (500g; Lot 0096970; Best before 16 July 2013; UPC 0 69809 00182 3), due to insect contamination. The recalled product was sold in Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall: RW Packaging Ltd. recalls Baby’s Choice Distilled Nursery Drinking Water (4L; Code 12E194), Alpine Distilled Water (4L; Codes12E191, 12E194, 12E198, 12E201, and 12E205), Encounter Distilled Water (4L; Code 12E191) and Crystal Pure Drinking Water – Distilled – Salt Free (4L; Code 12E194), due to microbiological contamination. The recalled products were sold in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Saskatchewan.
- Allergy Alert (Belgium): YSCO sa recalls Appassionato sorbet cassis blackcurrant (1L – 550g; Lot #L1126BB; Expiry 11-2013; Production date 06/05/2011), due to the presence of undeclared traces of milk.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Kar GmbH recalls Sultan, Hasanefendi, uncle, Osmanli, Kral, Hantat, Seda, Sultanim, spice mill Friedberg, Ahinur, Hilal, Beyza, Belinay, only, Yalcinkaya, Kösem, Hüdaverdi, Izmir, Ünal, Nar, Icen, Dogancan, and Baykal brands of Curry Powder (70g/80g glass jars, 225g & 450g plastic jars, and 200g, 700g & 1 kg vacuum bags; Best before 16.3.2013 and 16.3.2014), due to Salmonella contamination.
- Personal Care Product Safety Recall (France): Procter & Gamble recalls Crest Whitestrips Pro dental whitening product, because the product is not in conformance with existing regulations.
- Personal Care Product Safety Recall (France): Laboratoires Thea recalls Blephaclean Lingette pour l’Hygiène Quotidienne des Paupières et des Peaux/Skin and Eyelid Wipes (Lot G09), due to lack of product sterility.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1297): High iodine content in dried seaweed from China; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1298): Aflatoxins in pistachios from Iran, via Germany; distributed to Austria.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1299): Undeclared milk in coconut flakes coated with chocolate from Germany, via Italy; distributed to Slovenia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1300): Ochratoxin A in organic baby mash from Switzerland; distributed to Luxembourg.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1301): Excessive oxytetracycline in frozen shrimps from Bangladesh; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1302): Suspected Salmonella Dublin in raw milk cheese from France; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1303): Carbofuran in yard long beans from Vietnam; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1304): Salmonella group D in liquid egg white from France, via the United Kingdom; distributed to Austria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1306): Listeria monocytogenes in smoked bacon from Lithuania; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1308): Cadmium in fish meal with raw material from Spain; distributed to Greece.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1309): Listeria monocytogenes in fresh cheese from Portugal; distributed to Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1310): Parathion in frozen red sweet peppers from the Netherlands; distributed to Germany.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Enforcement Action (Abu Dhabi): Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority (ADFCA) has ordered punitive closure of Hani Supermarket and Bakery –WLL, located on Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum (Airport Road) due to repeated violation of food safety rules.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Shellfish Safety Alert (Argentina): Senasa warns the public not to consume bivalve molluscs and gastropods harvested from Bahia Camarones, due to the presence of paralytic shellfish toxins above the maximum permitted limit.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.