Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: American Licorice Co. (Union City, CA) recalls Red Vines Black Licorice Twists and other candies, including Black Licorice Bar (2.5 oz.), Jumbo Black Licorice Hanging Bag (8 oz.), Black Licorice Tray (5 oz.), Black Licorice Laydown Bag (7 oz.), Black Licorice Laydown Bag (16 oz., Black Licorice Jar (4 lbs.), Mixed Bites Hanging Bag (8 oz.), Mixed Bites Bag (16 oz.), Family Mix Laydown Bag (24 oz.), Family Mix Laydown Bag (32 oz.), Snaps Hanging Bag (5.5 oz), Snaps Theater Box (4.5 oz.), and Snaps Tin (12 oz), due to unacceptable levels of lead in the candy. The recalled products were sold at retailers across the USA, including Copps, D&W Fresh Market, Family Fare, Glen’s Markets, Glen’s Fresh Market, Haggen, Mariano’s, Metro Market, Pick’n Save, Rainbow, Spartan, TOP Food & Drug, Tops, Valu Land, VG’s Grocery, VG’s Fresh Market, and Wegmans.
- Food Safety Recall: Gills Onions recalls Diced & Slivered Onions, including Cross Valley Farms onions (Use by date 9/07/12), after random sampling by FDA finds Listeria. The recalled product was supplied only to foodservice companies. Because none of the recalled product is available at retail outlets, FDA and Gills will not be issuing a press release.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Recall: Lowes Foods alerts its customers to a recall of Orajel Kits (3 oz; UPC 10310 32370; Lot code BI1041), following reports of off flavor and numbing when using the product.
- Outbreak Alert (Cruise): CDC reports that 114 passengers and 11 crew members on board the Princess Cruises’ ship Dawn Princess developed norovirusinfections during a cruise that began on August 21st and is scheduled to terminate on September 13th. Two CDC Vessel Sanitation Program environmental health officers are scheduled to board the ship today (Sept 7th) on its arrival in Juneau, AK to conduct an environmental health assessment and evaluate the outbreak and response activities.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert – Mangos: Please refer to Salmonella Braenderup – Mango for current information on US retail distribution of recalled Daniella brand mangos and other products that contain these mangos.
- Food Safety Recall: London Drugs Limited recalls Red Vines Red & Black Mixed Bites Licorice(226g; UPC 0 41364 00240 8; All codes), due to unacceptable levels of lead. The recalled product was sold in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert – Mangos: Please refer to Salmonella Braenderup – Mango for current information on Canadian retail distribution of recalled Daniella brand mangos and other products that contain these mangos.
- Food Recall (Greece): Coca Cola Greece Bottling Company SA recalls 100% Natural Juice Amita Motion (330ml carton with Expiration dates 8/1/2013, 9/1/2013, 11/1/2013, 12/1/2013, 16/1/2013, 17/1/2013, 18/1/2013, 1/2/2013, and 6/2/2013; 1 liter carton with Expiration dates 9/1/2013, 11/1/2013, 17/1/2013, 18/1/2013, 1/2/2013, 6/2/2013, 7/2/2013, 13/2/2013, and 14/2/2013; 1.5 liter carton with Expiration dates 9/1/2013, 11/1/2013, and 18/1/2013), due to contamination with Alicyclobacillus, resulting in off-flavor.
- Personal Care Product Safety Recall (France): Carrefour recalls Carrefour Gel douche-shampooing 2EN1 – Sport (300ml bottle; Lot #10212105), due to a risk of contamination with Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1270): Mercury in frozen mackerel fillet from unknown origin, via Spain; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1271): Mercury in frozen black marlin loins from unknown origin, via Spain; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1273): Triazophos in yardlong beans from India; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1274): Insect infestation in rice from Thailand; distributed to Italy.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.1276): Salmonella in meat meal from Germany; distributed to Belgium.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1277): Suspicion of Salmonella in rabbit filet from the Netherlands; distributed to Belgium, Germany and Luxembourg.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1278): High content of lead in rice from Italy; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1279): Ethephon in seedless grapes from unknown origin; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1280): Shigatoxin-producing Escherichia coli in chilled rucola from Italy; distributed to Slovenia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1283): Salmonella in curry from Germany; distributed to Germany and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1284): Glass fragments in beer from France; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1285): Salmonella in sesame paste from Lebanon; distributed to Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Spain and Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1286): Salmonella in ground black pepper from unknown origin, via Belgium; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1287): Salmonella in curry from Belgium, via the Netherlands; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1288): Aflatoxins in ground nutmeg from the Netherlands; distributed to Germany.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating an outbreak of acute gastroenteritis at a kindergarten/child care center in Yuen Long District. Nineteen pupils aged between three and five, and four staff members have developed symptoms of gastroenteritis since September 3rd. None of the victims has needed hospitalization.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.