Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Stagnaro Bros. Seafood, Inc. (Santa Cruz, CA) that a June 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Wild About Food – Oklahoma, LLC (Moore, OK) that a March/April 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): Musgrave Retail Partners Ireland withdraws Centra Chocolate Chip Cookies (150g; All batch codes; All best before dates), due to inconsistent wheat, milk and egg labeling on the packages. Wheat, milk and eggs are declared in the ingredient list; however gluten, wheat, milk and egg are not declared on the allergy warning panel of the label.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1264): DDT in organic sesame seeds from India; distributed to Bulgaria, Germany, Greece, the Netherlands and Poland.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Food Safety alerts parents to refrain from feeding their babies with the following infant formula, imported from New Zealand, which was found to have a low iodine content: WIOM Infant Formula Stage 1 – From Birth to 6 months (900g; Manufactured by WISDOM Dairy (NZ) Ltd.; Use by date May 24, 2013; Batch #43862).
- Outbreak Alert (UAE): A two-year-old Egyptian girl has died of food poisoning after eating packed crisps, juice and sweets purchased from local shops and a mall in the Emirate, according to MSN News, Arabia. The toddler suffered from severe stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhea. Her brother also was affected, and remains in hospital in stable condition.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.