Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Spence & Co. Ltd. (Brockton, MA) recalls Wellsley Farms brand Nova Smoked Salmon (16 oz; Lot 6704701) and Spence & Co. brand Smoked Salmon Trim (8 oz; Lot 6704701), because of possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled Wellsley Farms Nova was distributed to BJ’s Wholesale Club in Florida, North Carolina, Georgia, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, New York and Ohio on 6.13.12. The recalled Spence & Co. Ltd. Trim was distributed to Krogers, King Soopers, and City Market stores in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Colorado, Wyoming and Utah between 6.22.12 and 6.29.12.
- Food Safety Recall: Dole Fresh Vegetables recalls Dole Italian Blend bagged salad (10 oz pkg; Use by August 20; UPC 7143000819), due to possible health risk from Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled salads were distributed in Florida, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Mississippi and Virginia, including in Giant Food Stores. The recall was issued after a sample of Dole Italian Blend salad was found to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes in a random sample test conducted by the North Carolina Department of Agriculture.
- Food Safety Recall: Chamberlain Farm Produce, Inc. (Owensville, IN) recalls all of its cantaloupes from the 2012 season, because some cantaloupes may be contaminated with a strain of Salmonella Typhimurium that is responsible for 178 reported illnesses in 21 states.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Hoffman Town & Country Meat Market (Detroit Lakes, MN) recalls Whole-Muscle Turkey Jerky (all products sold on or before August 21, 2012), after state investigators linked the product to four cases of Salmonella illness among Minnesota residents. All four individuals – one of whom was hospitalized – reported eating turkey jerky during the week prior to becoming ill.
- Food Safety Recall: Champ’s Mushrooms (Aldergrove, BC) recalls Champ’s Mushrooms brand Sliced White Mushrooms (Product of Canada; 227g/8-oz pkgs; UPC 0 33383 67600 5; Packed on date PO 10AUG2012 or PO 11AUG 2012), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product was distributed in British Columbia and Alberta, and may also have been distributed in other provinces.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1216): Oxamyl in watermelon from Greece, via Bulgaria; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1218): Histamine in chilled vacuumed tuna loin from Spain; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1219): Listeria monocytogenes in chilled pork rillettes from France; distributed to Belgium and France.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.