Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Outbreak Alert/Food Safety Recall (California): The California Department of Public Health reports three cases of Vibrio parahaemolyticus infections linked to eating shucked and in-shell raw oysters from Drakes Bay Oyster Company (Inverness, CA). Drakes Bay Oyster has recalled its shucked and in-shell raw oyster products (9 ounce, 1-pint, 1-quart and half-gallon jars or tubs; Lot No. 363 through 421; in-shell raw oyster tags marked with harvest dates from July 17, 2012 through August 8, 2012). The recalled oyster products were supplied to restaurants and to a few grocery stores in Sausalito, Berkeley, San Francisco, Novato, Oakland, Santa Rosa, Point Reyes Station, Calistoga, Cotati, Bolinas, Kentfield, Auburn, Petaluma, Sonoma, Fairfax, Inverness, San Rafael, Fulton, Windsor, Modesto, Marshall, Mill Valley, Olema, Nicasio, Tomales, San Geronimo, Healdsburg and Larkspur.
- Food Safety Recall: Burch Equipment LLC (North Carolina) expands its earlier cantaloupe recall to include all of this growing season’s cantaloupe and honeydew melons that may remain on the market (cantaloupes identified by a red label reading Burch Farms referencing PLU # 4319; some cantaloupes may be identified with a Cottle Strawberry, Inc. sticker referencing PLU #4319; individual honeydew melons do not carry identifying stickers), after FDA’s finding of Listeria monocytogenes on a honeydew melon grown and packed by Burch. The recalled melons were sold between June 23rd and July 27th to distributors in Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, Vermont and West Virginia. Grocery chains that were supplied with cantaloupes or honeydew melons by Burch include Hannaford, Food Lion and Reid.
- Food Safety Recall: Fresco Green Farms Inc. (Winchester, CA) recalls Cilantro (10″ x 1 ¼” bunches held with brown rubber band), after routine USDA sampling finds that cilantro harvested from July 18th to July 27th may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled cilantro was sold in California and Minnesota beginning July 19, 2012 and was likely sold or removed from sale before August 6, 2012. Some of the recalled cilantro also was supplied to US Foods for redistribution to its customers.
- Food Safety Recall: Missa Bay, LLC, wholly owned subsidiary of REady Pac Foods, Inc. (Swedesboro, NJ) recalls 293,488 cases and 296,224 individually distributed units of fruit, vegetable, and sandwich products containing apples (Use-by dates of July 8, 2012 through August 20, 2012), because they contain diced or sliced apples that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recall was initiated after Listeria monocytogenes was found on equipment used by Missa Bay, LLC to produced apple products. The recalled products were distributed to retailers (including Hannaford, Food City, Harris Teeter, Kroger, Ralphs, Food4Less, FoodsCo, Safeway, Giant Food, Stop & Shop, and Wegmans) and foodservice operators (McDonalds and Burger King) in Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Washington D.C., Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin and West Virginia. Please refer to the recall notice for a detailed product list.
- Food Safety Recall: US Nutrition recalls Pure Protein High Protein Bar, Chewy Chocolate Chip (1.76 oz; UPC 74982612644; Lot #EMO452C38 and EMO462C38; Best by Feb 14, 2012 and Feb 15, 2012 respectively) due to consumer complaints of a plastic foreign object inside some bars. The recalled protein bars were sold at Giant, Giant Eagle, Schnucks, Logli, Hilander and Kinney Drugs locations.
- Allergy Alert: Marina Export & Import Inc. recalls Chichny Beef Stock (24g, Best – Bef 013/07; 576g, Best Before 2013/07 or Best – Bef 013/07), due to the presence of undeclared gluten and soy. The recalled product was sold nationwide.
- Allergy Alert Update: Canadian Food Inspection Agency expands its August 9th Allergy Alert to include additional organic pine nuts (Product of USA), to include additional products, because the pine nuts contain undeclared peanuts. Please refer to the Allergy Alert for a list of affected products.
- Food Safety Recall: Canadian Food Inspection Agency expands its earlier Health Hazard Alerts to include additional dried Basil products recalled by Shah Trading Co. Ltd, because the products may be contaminated with Salmonella. Please click on the menu bar (above) for a consolidated list of affected products.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): GIMA Catering A/S recalls Frozen whole barbecue chickens (1300; Production date 21/3-2012; Shelf life 12/9-2013; Product of Brazil), due to Salmonella enteritidis contamination.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.