Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Ken’s Foods, Inc. recalls Ken’s Tartar Sauce (4/1-gal containers; MFG 09/JUL/12), Ken’s Tartar Sauce (100/1.5oz cups; EXP 011313), Dickey’s BBQ Bean (10/48oz pouches; USE BY 11MAR13), Golden Corral Tartar (4/1-gal containers; MFT 17/JUL/12), Lee’s Cole Slaw (14/40oz pouches; MFT 23JUL12) and Fatz Tartar Sauce (4/1-gal containers; MFT 23/JUL/12), because these items contain onions from Gills Onions, which may have been contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled products were supplied to distribution centers, private label customers and brokers in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin.
- Food Safety Recall: Garden-Fresh Foods recalls various ready-to-eat salads, slaw, salsa, bean and dip products sold under various brands and code dates, because the products may contain onions from Gills Onions, which may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled products were sold in various size containers (8oz to 8 pound packages) and were distributed to retail stores and food services in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, Texas, Florida, Massachusetts, Missouri, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Arizona and California. Affected brands include Acme, Chef’s Kitchen, Copperwood Kitchens, Dairy Fresh, Finest Traditions, GArden-Fresh, Grandpas, Marsh’s, Archer Farms, Market Pantry, Our Own, Rogges, Roundy’s, Spartan, Spoon River and Weis.
- Food Safety Recall: Roundy’s Supermarkets Inc. withdraws Fresh Sour Cream Dill Dip and Fresh Salsa (Code dates 8/19 to 9/3, 2012), due to a “health risk.” The products were sold in the Deli Department in Copps, Mariano’s Fresh Market, Metro Market, Pick ‘n Save, and Rainbow stores.
- Food Safety Recall: Schnucks Markets, Inc. recalls the following salads and sandwich wedges (sold from the Delis, Food Bars and Chef’s Express departments at Schnucks, Logli and Hilander stores), because they contain onions from Gills Onions that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes: Italian Pasta Salad (Sell by dates between 8/17/2012 and 8/20/2012), Greek Pasta Salad (Sell by dates between 8/13/2012 and 8/17/2012), Taco Pasta Salad (Sell by dates between 8/14/2012 and 8/20/2012), Tomato Mozzarella Salad (Sell by dates between 8/14/2012 and 8/20/2012), Egg Salad (Sell by dates between 8/8/2012 and 8/15/2012), Egg Salad Sandwich Wedge – White Bread (Sell by dates between 8/8/2012 and 8/15/2012) and Egg Salad Sandwich Wedge – Wheat Bread (Sell by dates between 8/8/2012 and 8/15/2012.
- Food Safety Recall: Schnucks Markets, Inc. recalls the following salads (2-lb tubs; Expiration date 8/15/12; sold from the Meat Department at Schnucks, Logli and Hilander stores), because they contain onions from Gills Onions that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes: Potato Salad (UPC 1159624200), Mustard Potato Salad (UPC 1159624215), Cole Slaw (UPC 1159624203) and Macaroni Salad (UPC 1159624210).
- Food Withdrawal: Reser’s Fine Foods and Spartan Stores, Inc. withdraw Spartan Brand Macaroni & Cheese side dish (6oz and 20oz; All lot codes), because the product has incorrect nutritional values listed on the back of the sleeve as well as an incorrect claim of “made with real cheddar cheese”. There is no cheddar cheese in the recipe.
- Food Recall: Food City reports a recall of Eat Smart Snap Pea (8 oz). No reason is given.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns United Nutrition Labs, Inc. (Reedsville, PA) that a December 2011/January 2012 inspection of the company’s dietary supplement manufacturing facility revealed a failure to comply with the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations for Dietary Supplements.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns H&L Jerch Sales, Inc., dba Bell Lifestyle Products, Inc. (South Haven, MI) that a February/March 2012 inspection of the company’s dietary supplement labeling and distribution facility found significant violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations for dietary supplements.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Vienna Beauty Products (Dayton, OH) that an October-December 2011 inspection of the company’s cosmetic manufacturing facility found insanitary conditions. In addition, an analysis of a sample of Triple Lanolin Aloe Vera Foot Scrub collected during the inspection revealed significant microbial contamination, namely a high Aerpbic Plate Count, and the presence of the bacterial pathogens Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Burkholderia multivorans/B. cepacia group.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that the Salmonella Montevideo outbreak that is linked to live baby poultry from Estes Hatchery in Springfield, Missouri has grown to 76 confirmed case-patients in 22 states. Seventeen people have been hospitalized. One of the 76 patients died, but the Salmonella infection was not considered to be a contributing factor in the person’s death.
- Outbreak Alert (Ontario): CBC News reports a second Clostridium difficile outbreak at a Hamilton hospital. Four confirmed cases of C. difficile have been reported from the surgical trauma unit of Hamilton General. This outbreak is thought to be unrelated to the outbreak at St. Joseph’s Hospital (Charlton campus).
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Carrefour Belgium recalls Carrefour and Carrefour Discount brand soybean sprouts and Wok vegetable mixes, because Salmonella was detected in the soybean sprouts. Please refer to the recall notice for a detailed list of affected products.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1094): Undeclared egg in frozen surimi from Thailand; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1095): Salmonella enteritidis in chilled chicken thigh meat from Estonia; distributed to Denmark.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1097): Undeclared nuts in precooked chicken from the United Kingdom; distributed to Gibraltar and the United Kingdom.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.