Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Simmering Soup, Inc. (Atlanta, GA) recalls Trader Joe’s Mild Salsa (16 oz; UPC 00285841; Use by 08/09) and Trader Joe’s Balela (8 oz; UPC 00683067; Use by 07/31), because the products contain diced onions that are the subject of a FDA recall due to possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The recall was initiated when the company was notified by FreshPoint Atlanta, which uses Gills Whole Peeled Onions for further processing to produce diced onions purchased by Simmering Soup Atlanta. Listeria was found in the facility in which the Gills Whole Peeled Onions were processed. The recalled products were shipped between July 25th and 26th, 2012 to Trader Joe’s stores in Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Southern region of Virginia.
- Food Safety Recall: Burch Farms (North Carolina) recalls Athena Cantaloupes (Whole cantaloupes; May be labeled with sticker that reads “Burch Farms” and “Cantaloupe PLU 4319”), because the cantaloupes may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The cantaloupes were shipped to New York on July 15th. The recalled cantaloupes were sold in Hannaford Supermarkets, which advised its customers of the Burch Farms recall on July 28th. Other supermarkets may also have sold the recalled product.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (Israel): Globes, Israel Business News reports that Tara Dairy is recalling all milk, due to an unspecified fault in production. The process of removing milk from store shelves began in Jerusalem and may be expanded nationwide. There will be no milk deliveries until the problem has been “examined” according to the Globes report.
- Outbreak Alert (India): Times of India reports that the number of gastroenteritis cases (including cholera) has risen to 132 in Dasuya (Punjab).
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Food Safety Enforcement Action (Argentina): SENASA seized and destroyed 876 pounds of oysters and 24 kg of lobsters that were being transported without proper health documentation.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.