Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Cargill Meat Solutions (Wyalusing, PA) recalls 29,339 pounds of Grnd Beef Fine 85/15 (3 x 14-lb chubs per case; Est 9400; Produced May 25, 2012), because the ground beef has been linked to a 33-case, seven-state outbreak of Salmonella Enteritidis infections. The chubs were shipped to distribution centers in Connecticut, Maine and New York for further distribution and were repackaged into consumer-size packages for sale under different retail brand names. At least a portion of the recalled meat was consigned to Hannaford Supermarkets, and sold in their stores in Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, New York and Vermont.
- Food Safety Recall: Hannaford Supermarkets recalls Ground Beef (Sell by dates of May 29 through June 16, 2012), because the meat may be contaminated with Salmonella Enteritidis. The ground beef is implicated in a 7-state outbreak of Salmonella Enteritidis illnesses and has been recalled by Cargill Meat Solutions.
- Outbreak Alert: Forty people who at a turkey dinner at the Denver Rescue Mission were taken to hospital after becoming “violently ill” an hour after their dinner, according to the Denver Post.
- Outbreak Alert Update: Dayton & Montgomery County Public Health has now identified at least 75 individuals who became ill with E. coli O157:H7 (including 18 with lab-confirmed infections) after eating food at a picnic at Neff’s Lawn Care in Germantown, Ohio. Fourteen people have been hospitalized, including three in serious condition who are suffering from hemolytic uremic syndrome. Two secondary cases (person-to-person transmission) have been reported. The source of the infections is still undetermined.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Milupa GmbH recalls Pre Aptamil formula (800g; Expiry 01/11/2014; Production time between 02.14 and 05.00), due to contamination with Cronobacter sakazakii.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Danish Supermarket recalls E ‘Bindstouw Sausage (500g; Product of Poland; Package date 16.07.2012; Best before 17.08.2012), due to the presence of excessive numbers of bacteria.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Plant Riet ApS recalls Plantedrik Nr. 4 og Plantedrik nr. 5 fra Planteriet ApS (250ml plastic bottle; Best before 24th July 2012), due to mold growth in some bottles.
- Outbreak Alert (Scotland): Fifty-seven people became ill with norovirus after taking part in an open water swimming event at Strathclyde Loch, according to Wishaw Press. Some of the victims tested positive for norovirus. The loch has been closed to water sports and boating as a result of the outbreak.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1038): Chlorpyriphos in cauliflower from Poland; distributed to Lithuania.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.1041, 2012.1042, 2012.1043): Unauthorized 1,3 dimethylamylamine in food supplement from the USA; distributed to Ireland.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Enforcement Action (Abu Dhabi): Inspectors of Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority ordered the destruction of 77 kilograms of food products found unfit for consumption in Al Ain during a comprehensive inspection campaign in Ain.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Food Safety Enforcement Action (Argentina): The National Health and Food Quality Service seized more than 50kg of pork that was being smuggled into Argentina from Paraguay at the Posadas-Encarnación International Bridge. The contraband was hidden under passenger seats. The federal agency is proceeding to denature and destroy the seized pork.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.