Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Buona Vita, Inc. (Bridgeton, NJ) recalls various frozen, ready-to-eat meat and poultry products sold under the Silver Lake, Buon Gusto, Mamma Cacciatore, Pisa and Sapore Italiano brands (Produced June 26, 2012; Est. No. P-954; Case code 1782), due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled products were sold to distribution facilities nationwide. Please refer to the recall notice for a detailed list of affected products.
- Food Safety Recall: Roxy Trading Inc. (Pomona, CA) recalls Gold Plum Candy (170g/6 oz pkgs; Product of Taiwan; All date codes), due to unacceptable levels of lead. The recalled product was sold in Southern California.
- Food Safety Recall: Productos Tita Corp (Glendale, NY) recalls Tita brand Quesito Colombiano Colombian Cheese (sold in plastic pouches or rectangular clear plastic tubs; Plant code 36-8440; All date codes), due to improper pasteurization of milk used to make the cheese. The recalled fresh cheese products were sold in the metropolitan New York area.
- Food Safety Recall: Schnuck Markets, Inc. recalls Tomato Basil Salad, Tortellini Salad and Italian Pasta Salad from 12 Schnucks (DeKalb, IL), Logli (Rockford, IL and Janesville, WI) and Hilander (Rockford, IL and Janesville, WI) stores, because the salads were made using onions recalled by Gills Onions due to possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The recalled deli salads were sold from the stores’ delis between July 10th and July 18th, 2012.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: The Kroger Company advises its customers that Wellements Baby Move Prune Concentrate (4 oz size) may be contaminated with Salmonella and has been recalled. The product was sold at Kroger stores located in Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama and Knoxville, Tennessee, Greater Cincinnati, including Northern Kentucky, Dayton, OH and South Eastern Indiana, Central and Northwest Ohio and N. West Virginia panhandle, Michigan, Indiana (except SW IN, -Evansville-), Illinois, Eastern Missouri, Greater Louisville (including Indiana), Lexington, and Nashville, TN, North Carolina, Virginia, Eastern WV, Eastern Kentucky, SE Ohio, Greater Memphis, TN, Arkansas, Mississippi and Western Kentucky, Texas and Louisiana, Dillon, KingSoopers, Frys, Smiths, 087 – Peyton Southea, 181 – Peyton Norther, 185 – Peyton Buckeye, 388 – Peyton Fountai stores.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that an outbreak of shigatoxin-producing Escherichia coli O145 that infected 18 people in 10 states is now over. No source of the infections was ever identified.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Sainsbury’s withdraws Sainsbury’s 8 Chunky Caramel Chocolate Bars (8 x 40g pack; All ‘best before’ date codes up to and including 16 July 2013), due to the presence of undeclared peanuts.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Cambridge Weight Plan recalls Cambridge Weight Plan Lactose-free Vanilla Drink (Best before 5 December 2013), due to the presence of undeclared milk.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Tulip Food Company recalls Foretta Italian Salami (350g; Best before 03.12.12) and GØL Italian Salami (300g; Best before 02.11.12), after some small soft blue pieces were found in the product. The Foretta salami was sold in Netto stores across Denmark; the GØL salami was sold in grocery stores, supermarkets and Salling.
- Food Safety Recall Update (Multiple Countries): Roquefort cheese that were recalled by La Société Gabriel Coulet SA (France) due to contamination with shigatoxin producing Escherichia coli O26:H11 was distributed in Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1028): Listeria monocytogenes in chilled vacuum packed smoked salmon from Poland; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1030): Excessive propylene glycol in Swiss rolls from Sri Lanka, via the Netherlands; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1031): Undeclared peanut in vanilla wafer from Bulgaria; distributed to Hungary.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1032): Salmonella in minced meat from Poland; distributed to Sweden.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1033): Undeclared peanut and incorrect use of packaging for Sainsbury’s chunky caramel chocolate bars from Spain; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1034): Listeria monocytogenes in soya shroots from the Netherlands; distributed to Belgium.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1035): Aflatoxins in rice from Sri Lanka; distributed to Belgium and France.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Department of Health warns the public not to buy or consume the oral product “Tinea Schwartz’s”, as it may contain undeclared prednisone, a steroid, which can cause serious side effects in some individuals when taken over a period of time.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (Australia): Quality Food World Pty Ltd. recalls Olive Branch Smoked Salmon Dairy Free dip and/or spread (200g plastic tub; Best before 01 NOV 12), due to the presence of undeclared egg. The recalled product was sold at IGA, Harris Farm and other independent supermarkets including green grocers in NSW, QLD, SA and VIC.
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Woolworths Ltd. recalls Macro Wholefoods Market Organic Biodynamic Almonds (250g resealable package; Best before 16/02/13, 03/03/13 and 17/03/13), due to Salmonella contamination. The recalled product was sold nationally at Woolworths Supermarkets, Safeway, Food for Less, Flemings Supermarkets and Thomas Dux Grocers from May 31st through July 17th, 2012.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.