Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Alert: FDA warns consumers not to purchase or consume any products from the Mexicali Cheese Corp (Woodhaven, NY) after Listeria monocytogenes was found in finished product samples. Under a May 1, 2012, consent decree of permanent injunction, Mexicali Cheese was required by a court order to stop manufacturing and distributing any articles of food until it completed FDA-approved measures to correct food safety deficiencies, decontaminate its facility and take other steps needed to comply with the law. The company did not comply with these requirements.
- Food Safety Recall: Valley Fine Foods Company, Inc. recalls Signature Café Spaghetti & Meatballs (30-oz/850g microwaveable tray; UPC 0-21130-06875-3; Use Components By dates of Jun 30 12, Jul 01 12, Jul 05 12, Jul 07 12, Jul 08 12, Jul 11 12, Jul 14 12, Jul 18 12, Jul 19 12, Jul 21 12, Jul 25 12, Jul 27 12, Jul 28 12, Aug 01 12, Aug 05 12, Aug 07 12, Aug 08 12 and Aug 11 12), because the product contains meatballs supplied by Buona Vita, Inc. (Bridgeton, NJ) and may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product was sold in the refrigerated deli area from May 26, 2012 through July 9, 2012 exclusively at Safeway and Safeway-owned stores throughout the U.S., including Carrs, Dominick’s, Genuardi’s, Pak ‘N Save, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb and Vons.
- Food Safety Alert (Rhode Island): The Rhode Island Department of Health advises consumers not to eat any bakery products purchased at Bristol Bakery or any products that may have originated at the facility after multiple violations were found during an inspection of the establishment by inspectors from the Office of Food Protection. Bristol Bakery has been ordered to remain closed until such time as the facility passes a re-inspection and is approved to reopen.
- Food Safety/Outbreak Alert: The Rhode Island Department of Health advises food establishments to avoid using or selling any shellfish harvested from areas in the Town of Oyster Bay (NY), due to an illness outbreak caused by Vibrio parahaemolyticus in the shellfish. Three people who ate raw or partially cooked shellfish in Nassau County became ill; an additional five illnesses were reported by three other states that received shellfish harvested in Oyster Bay.
- Outbreak Alert (Wisconsin): Food Safety News reports that at least 200 people contracted Norovirus after swimming in Lake Wazee (Wisconsin) on July 4th. One child was hospitalized.
- Food Safety Recall: Costco Wholesale Canada recalls Lilydale Chicken Whole Chicken Fryer (Best before July 21st, 2012), Lilydate Chicken Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast (Best before July 21st, 2012) and Lilydale Chicken Split Tip Removed Chicken Wings (Best before July 20th, 2012), due to a possible temperature abuse issue. The affected products were sold only at the Rocky View (Alberta) Costco Wholesale warehouse.
- Food Safety Recall: Henlong Market recalls Chining Boiled White Nuts – Gingko (397g; Best before 30-06-2013; Code 3200/01023 926; UPC 6 901383 002060), due to an unspecified microbiological issue. The recalled product was sold in British Columbia.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC recalls Morrisons Pesto Chicken Pasta (380g; Use by 20 July), because the packages contain prawn linguine with celery, instead of pesto chicken pasta. Individuals who are allergic to or intolerant of shellfish and/or celery should not eat this product.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Société Gabriel Coulet SA recalls Paturages Roquefort cheese (150g; Lot 120406165; Best before 20/10/2012; Product of France), due to contamination with Escherichia coli O26:H11, a shiga-toxin-producting E. coli. The recalled product was sold in Intermarché and Ecomarché stores from 26/06/2012 to 13/07/2012.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Société Gabriel Coulet SA recalls Cosse Noir, La Petite Cave, Gar, Patrimoine Gourmand, Auchan, Notre Selection, Paturages, Rocabret, Monoprix Gourmet, Cora, Maison des Gourmets, and Le Fromager brand Roquefort cheeses (Lot # 120406152, 120406156, 120406157, 120406159, 120406160, 120406164, and 120406165; Best before dates from 10/07/2012 to 09/10/2012), due to contamination with Escherichia coli O26:H11, a shiga-toxin-producing E. coli. The product was sold from 01/06/2012 to 12/07/2012.
- Food Safety Alert (France): The Prefect of Finistère has banned recreational and professional harvest, transport, shipping, distribution or sale for human consumption of shellfish from the Bay of Brest, due to the presence of toxins that cause paralytic shellfish poisoning.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0986): Listeria monocytogenes in chilled smoked salmon from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0987): Mercury in fresh dogfish from Malta; distributed to Malta.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0990): Mercury in chilled swordfish fillets from the Seychelles; distributed to Austria and Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0991): Cadmium in frozen squid from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0992): Metal particles in sugar from Germany; distributed to Germany and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0993): Salmonella spp. in pasteurized eggs from Poland; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0994): Shigatoxin-producing Escherichia coli in roquefort cheese from France; distributed to Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0995): Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning toxins in oysters and mussels from France; distributed to Belgium, France, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0997): Excessive sulphite in frozen squid fillets from Peru; distributed to Latvia.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Abu Dhabi): Thirty-seven wedding guests were admitted to Marfa Hospital in a suspected case of food poisoning. Food catered by a restaurant in Bani Yas is suspected to be the source of the poisoning.
Australia and New Zealand
- Personal Care Product Safety Recall (Australia): Essential Image recalls Take-home Teeth Whitening Kit (no identifying numbers or markings), because the product contains concentrations of hydrogen peroxide in excess of the recognized safe limit of 6%. The recalled product was sold nationally directly to consumers via the Essential Image website.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.