Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert (Update): Frozen desserts recalled by Arctic Zero Inc. (Escondido, CA) due to the presence of undeclared milk allergen were sold in Whole Foods Market stores.
- Food Safety Recall (Update): Some of the frozen, ready-to-eat meat and poultry products recalled by Buona Vita Inc (Bridgeton, NJ) due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes were sold at Buehler’s Fresh Foods (DiRusso’s Beef Meatballs – 10#; 1 oz meatballs; UPC 5397591615), Walmart and Sam’s Club stores.
- Food Safety Alert (Oregon): The Oregon Department of Agriculture announces the closure of recreational mussel harvesting from Tillamook Head south to Heceta Head, about 13 miles north of Florence in Lane County on the central Oregon Coast, due to elevated levels of paralytic shellfish toxins.
- Outbreak Alert (Ohio): At least 10 people have been infected with E. coli after eating at a picnic in Germantown, OH. Six people are hospitalized.
- Outbreak Alert (California): Santa Barbara County Public Health is investigating an outbreak of norovirus among more than 12 guests, visitors and employees at the Alisal Guest Ranch in Santa Ynez Valley, California.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): RAW.BITE recalls Rawbite Coconut, Organic Fruit and Nut Bar (50g; Best before 17/10-2012, 25/10-2012, 23/11-2012 and 21/12-2012), due to growth of yeast in the bars. The recalled bars were sold in 7-Eleven stores.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Maria Gries Landwirtschaft Grebehof (Löhnberg) recalls Bio Eier vom Grebehof/Grebehof Organic Eggs (6-packs and 10-packs; Expiry dates 25/07/2012 and 31/07/2012; Egg code stamp 0-DE-0660-391 to -394), because the eggs contain more than the permitted levels of dioxins and di-PCBs.
- Personal Care Product Safety Recall (France): Laboratoires Pierre Fabre Médicament recalls Eludril Mouthwash Solution (0,5 ml/0,5g per 100ml; Lot G99001; Expiry 01/2015), due to breaches of Good Manufacturing Practices for chlorhexidine digluconate, the active ingredient in the mouthwash.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0947): Undeclared milk ingredient in candies from Slovakia; distributed to Slovenia.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0948): Salmonella corvallis in dog chews from Brazil, via the Netherlands; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0949): High content of beta-asarone in food supplements from the United Kingdom; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0950): Excessive Escherichia coli in big clams from Italy; distributed to Italy and Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0951): Salmonella in rooibos tea from Poland; distributed to the Czech Republic and Poland.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating a cluster of 15 cases of bacillary dysentery due to Shigella flexneri. The victims were part of a 32-person tour group that travelled from Hong Kong to Cambodia June 13th to 17th.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating three food poisoning outbreak clusters involving eight people, all of whom ate in a restaurant in the Eastern District on June 28th (six persons) and July 5th (two persons).
Latin America and the Caribbean
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.