Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: ITO EN USA requests that Hawaii customers of its canned Aloha Maid Coconut Water with Pineapple (Code IHMAY0913; UPC 8-35146-00818-3; purchased since May 16, 2012) return the products to stores for a refund, due to an “off smell.”
- Food Safety Recall Update: Mexicali Cheese Corp (Woodhaven, NY) expands its earlier recall to include additional product names, due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product names include: Mexicali Queso Fresco Mexicano, Mexican Style Fresh Cheese; Acatlan Queso Fresco, Fresh Cheese; Mi Quesito Mexicano, Mexican Cheese; and Quesillo Ecuatoriano, Ecuadorian Style Cheese. The recalled cheeses are packaged in a 14-oz plastic tub (Plant No. 36-0128; Code 071512), and were sold in the metropolitan New York area, including Queens, the Bronx and Brooklyn.
- Food Safety Recall: Dairy Goddess (Lemoore, CA) recalls Cream Top Chocolate Milk (8-oz, 1-qt and half-gallon sizes; Code date 7-11-2012) due to a lack of proper pasteurization. The product also is the object of a quarantine order, as dangerous pathogens may have survived in the milk. The recalled product was marketed only at Farmers’ Markets in San Luis Obispo and Clovis.
- Medical Device Recall: Johnson & Johnson recalls K-Y Liquibeads 6 ct (UPC 38004008795; Lot codes 0361W, 0651W, 0921W, 2591W, 0219H, 0030H, 0080H, 0090H and 0159H; Expiration dates between 5/1/11 and 7/16/13) to address the FDA’s concerns that the product should be cleared under a separate medical device application.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Taiyo Seafood Boston Inc. (Quincy, MA) that a May 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Good Herbs Inc. (Troy, MI) that a November 2011 through January 2012 inspection of the company’s manufacturing facility revealed significant violations of the CGMP regulations for dietary supplements.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Oklahoma Respiratory Care, Inc. (Norman, OK) that an October 2011 inspection of the company’s pharmaceutical manufacturing facility identified significant violations of Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations for Finished Pharmaceuticals.
- Outbreak Alert (Oregon): Three Central Oregon residents were hospitalized with symptoms of botulism, contracted at a private barbecue. Home-canned food is implicated as the source of the illnesses. The incident is under investigation by Deschutes County Health Services, and final testing results are pending.
- Food Safety Recall: Le Poisson Volant (La Prairie, QC) recalls Far de homard Lobster Pâté (125ml Mason jars; No label), because the product may be hazardous to consumers health if it was not kept refrigerated at all times after purchase.
- Food Safety Recall: Phoenicia Group Inc. (St-Laurent, QC) expands its earlier tahina recall to include Alkanater brand Tahina (454g containers; UPC 6 92551 00002 0; Lot code TT3N-260112; Production code 26/01/2012; Exp 25/01/2014), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was distributed in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Nova Scotia Ontario and Quebec and may have been distributed nationally. This product is available in Whole Foods Markets supermarkets in Canada.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Breckland Orchard recalls Breckland Orchard Blackcurrant & Raspberry (275ml), Cloudy Lemonade (275ml), Cream Soda (275ml), Ginger Beer with Chilli (275ml), Pear & Elderflower (275ml and 750ml), and Strawberry & Rhubarb (275ml) fruit-based drinks (Best before date of Marcy 2013 or April 2013), due to the potential risk of the glass bottles breaking.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Cott Beverages Ltd. recalls Emerge Isotonic Orange Flavour Sports Drink (500ml bottle; Best before December 2012; Batch code L156), because the beverages may be contaminated with pieces of plastic.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Britvic Soft Drinks recalls Robinsons Fruit Shoot and Robinsons Fruit Shoot Hydro flavoured mineral waters due to a packaging safety issue with the new cap design, according to BBC. Robinsons Fruit Shoot Orange Regular (8 x 200ml; Best before Mar 13) was available at Sainsbury’s stores. Sainsbury customers should return the product to their nearest store for a full refund.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Carrefour recalls Carrefour brand Sardines à l’huile d’olive/Sardines in Olive Oil (120g; Lot codes between BJL001F and BJL043F), due to the presence of histamine.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Les Mechelse Veilingen recalls Chou rouge/Red cabbage (Bulk packaged; Registration #33748-0328; sold from June 19-27, 2012), due to unacceptably high residues of the pesticide dimethoate.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): DK Trading ApS recalls Fresh chicken breast (120-160g each, sold in 300-400g retail packs of 3 pieces or wholesale in 2.5kg packs; Lot 120618003; Expiry 03.07.2012; Product of Poland) due to Salmonella contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Aldi K/S recalls Country Pleasure brand Whole fresh chilled chicken (1300g; Best before 27-06-2012; Product of Germany), due to Campylobacter contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Samso Cannery recalls First Price Cucumber Salad (550g; Expiry June 2014; Batch No. staring with 1506112200 or 1506112400), after receiving a report of a piece of glass in the product.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Unilever recalls Du darfst Feine Teewurst (125g; Expiry 07/25/2012 and 30/07/2012; Lot #L217 802 217755 u), due to microbiological contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Abraham Ham GmbH recalls Abraham herzhafter Katenschinken gewürfelt/Abraham Chopped Savory Smoked Ham (2 x 125g; Expiration 3:08:12; Batch #40K773 09:51), due to Salmonella contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Käserei H. Birkenstock GmbH recalls Birkenstock Mainzer Cheese due to Listeria monocytogenes contamination.
- Consumer Product Safety Alert (UK): The Food Standards Agency warns that Miracle Mineral Solution (also known as Miracle Mineral Supplement) and Chlorine Dioxide Solution should not be consumed, as they can be hazardous. Miracle Mineral Solution is a 28% sodium chlorite solution, which is equivalent to industrial strength bleach. Chlorine Dioxide is more dilute, but can still irritate the skin and gastrointestinal tract if swallowed. Other similar products also should be avoided.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0908): Listeria monocytogenes in chilled smoked salmon from Denmark; distributed to Italy.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.0910): Unauthorized 1,3 dimethylamylamine in food supplement from the United States; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0912): Salmonella spp. in tea sausage spread from Germany; distributed to Germany, Italy and Luxembourg.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0913): Foodborne outbreak (histamine poisoning) caused by chilled tuna from Spain; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0914): Salmonella Infantis in chicken breast fillets from Poland; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0915): Methiocarb in red cabbage from Belgium; distributed to Belgium, France, Germany and Netherlands.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Food Safety Enforcement Action (Argentina): El Servicio Nacional de Sanidad y Calidad Agroalimentaria (Senasa) seizes and destroys 365 kg of uneviscerated frozen whole chicken and 9 kg of chicken sausage, because the poultry products were transported without any authorization or veterinary records, and in a truck that did not meet standards for food transport.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.