Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Alert (Idaho): The Idaho Division of Public Health warns that catfish in the lower Boise River have been found to have high levels of mercury that could be dangerous to developing babies, children, and the general public if eaten too often. Therefore, the state has issued a Fish Advisory for catfish for the lower Boise River.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Falengreen A/S recalls Urtekram brand Grated Organic Cheddar Cheese (140g; Production date 16-05-2012; Best before 28-08-2012), due to mold growth resulting from leaks in some bags.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0903): Salmonella Redhill and Salmonella Senftenberg in oats from Sweden; distributed to Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0904): Histamine in frozen yellow fin tuna from Vietnam; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0906): Listeria monocytogenes in cheese from Italy; distributed to Germany, Italy and Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0907): Carbon monoxide treatment of chilled tuna slices from Spain; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Enforcement Action (Saudi Arabia): Makkah Municipality has closed an unidentified restaurant belonging to a “well-known international fast food chain” in the city center after four people who ate at the restaurant developed food poisoning. Lab tests on samples of food from the restaurant confirmed the source of the outbreak cluster. The restaurant will remain shut for one month and be fined SR4,000.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.