Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Dole Fresh Vegetables recalls Dole Hearts of Romaine bagged salad (UPC 143000956; Lot code 0540N165112A or B; Use by June 26), after a random sample test conducted by FDA yielded a positive result for Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product was distributed in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia. The bagged salads were available at Giant Food Stores, LLC and possibly at other retail grocery stores and supermarkets.
- Food Safety Recall: Mexicali Cheese Corp (Woodhaven, NY) recalls Mexicali Queso Fresco Mexicano, Mexican Style Fresh Cheese and Acatlan Queso Fresco, Fresh Cheese (14-oz plastic tub; Plant #36-0128; Code 071512), after testing of a routine sample obtained by New York State discovered the presence of Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled cheese was distributed in the metropolitan New York City area, including Queens, the Bronx and Brooklyn.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: Standard Process Inc. (Palmyra, WI) recalls Cataplex ACP (Product #0700 and 0750), Cataplex C (Product #1650 and 1655) and Pancreatrophin PMG (Product #6650) dietary supplements (60cc and 200cc amber glass bottles; Lot 114; Best Use by 5/13) after routine FDA record inspection revealed that one of the ingredients used in these products potentially was contaminated with Salmonella. The products were sold to consumers through health care professionals.
- Food Spoilage Recall: Lowes Foods recalls DeLallo Flat Fillet Anchovies (2 oz; UPC 7236830150; Lot# 4122A; Date 8/1/2013) and DeLallo Rolled Anchovies with Capers (2 oz; UPC 7236830100; Lot# IH246; Date 9/5/2013) due to possible spoilage.
- Food Safety Advisory: Karlin Foods Corp advises that Laura Lynn brand salad mixes may contain metal shavings after learning from Kerry Ingredients that they had discovered metal shavings in an ingredient. Laura Lynn branded products are sold by Ingles Markets, Inc. Please refer to the notification letter for details of affected products. This is not a product recall.
- Outbreak Alert: The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services is investigating a cluster of three cases of Vibrio parahaemolyticus illnesses in eastern Missouri. The source of the illness cluster is under investigation. Vibrio parahaemolyticus typically is associated with consumption of raw or undercooked shellfish, particularly oysters.
- Allergy Alert: Uncle T Foods Ltd. (Richmond, BC) recalls Lotte brand Choco Pie (168g packages/UPC 8 801062 161881; 336g packages/UPC 801062 160709 or 8 801062 16825; All date codes), due to the presence of undeclared almonds. The recalled product was distributed in British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario, and may have been distributed in other provinces as well.
- Allergy Alert: Pâtisseries Sanda Inc. (Brossard, QC) expands its earlier recall to include Milles-Feuilles, Custard (450g; UPC 8 93837 00048 6; All codes) and Milles-Feuilles, Napoleon (450g; UPC 3 93837 00049 3; All codes), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled products were distributed in Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall: Treasure Mills Inc. (Newmarket, ON) recalls Brownie Club Packs (Lot Coe 125-121; UPC 805658450807; best before May 29th, May 30th, May 31st, June 1st and June 2nd) after a tiny piece of plastic was reported in one of the Brownie Club Packs. The recalled products were sold in Costco Warehouse stores in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall (Italy): The Regione Autonoma Valle d’Aosta alerts the public to the recall of Sliced Albacore Tuna (Produced by Hijos de albalabejo Garcia S.L., Spain; Lot A12/28211), due to the presence of carbon monoxide. The recalled tuna was distributed in Italy by Carrefour – Società Sviluppo.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.