Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Bi-Lo alerts its customers to the recall of Southern Home Pasta Salad Creamy Parmesan (UPC 6-07880-02892; Lot 042013CA85/04/20/2013 and 052113CA85/05/21/2013) and Southern Home Pasta Salad Ranch/Bacon (7.5 oz; UPC 6-07880-02891; Lot 051713CB85/05/17/2013, 051813CA85/05/18/2013, and 051813CB85/05/18/2013) due to potential contamination with small metal fragments.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that six separate multistate outbreaks of human Salmonella infections have been associated with exposure to small turtles. Twenty-eight states have reported a total of 149 confirmed illnesses caused by Salmonella Sandiego, Salmonella Pomona and Salmonella Poona. Sixty-four percent (64%) of the victims are children of 10 years of age or younger; 28% are children less than 1 year old. Twenty-eight people have been hospitalized. Epidemiological and environmental studies indicate that exposure to turtles or their environments (e.g., water from a turtle habitat) is the cause of these outbreak.s
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert/Recall: Floyd Nutrition LLC recalls ZXT Gold Bee Pollen Capsules, a weight loss product, because the capsules have been found to contain the pharmaceutical ingredients sibutramine and phenolphthalein, which may pose serious health risks. The product is not authorized for sale in Canada.
- Pharmaceutical Product Recall (France): Merck Serono recalls Ovitrelle® (choriogonadotropine alfa) 250 microgram injectable solution in prefilled syringes (Lot BA008998; Expiry September 2013), after receiving complaints about missing needles.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall (Finland): EVIRA announces that last week’s recall of Jack3D food supplement due to the presence of 1,3 dimethylamylamine (DMAA) has been expanded to include additional products. Please refer to the recall notice for a list of affected products and manufacturers.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0892): Mold infestation in wafers with fresh eggs from Germany; distributed to Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0893): Listeria monocytogenes in chilled bio salad from Italy; distributed to Greece.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0894): Suspected shigatoxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 in spicy minced meat from Belgium; distributed to Belgium, Germany and Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0895 & 2012.0896): Chloramphenicol in frozen shrimps from Vietnam; distributed to Denmark and Sweden.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0897): Salmonella Adozi in wheat bran from Côte d’Ivoire; distributed to Norway.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0898): Salmonella spp. and excessive Enterobacteriaceae in meat and bone meal from Poland; distributed to Hungary, Italy, Netherlands and Poland.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0899): Aflatoxins in corn grain from Madagascar; distributed to France.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0900): Salmonella coein in sunflower cake from Italy; notified by Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0901): Metal pieces in lollipop from Spain; distributed to Greece.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0902): Salmonella Tennessee in rapeseed meal from Switzerland; notified by Sweden.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Abrate & Sons Limited recalls Vino Spumante Brut Rosé (750 ml or 1.5 litres; Product of Italy; Lot 1/2009), because the product may have been contaminated with monoethylene glycol.
- Food Safety Alert (India): The Government of India has extended its ban on the import of dairy products from China for six months from 24 December 2011 (see advisory No. 8/FSSAI/2011). This notice was posted on the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India website on 29 June 2012.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.