Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Gordon Food Company, Inc. (Memphis, TN) that a February/March 2012 inspection of the company’s multiple food storage facility found serious violations of Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulations.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Hai Nam Co., Ltd. (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam) that an agency review of the company’s HACCP plan and associate records revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Shamrock Medical Solutions Group, LLC (Lewis Center, OH) that an August 2011 inspection of the company’s pharmaceutical manufacturing facility identified significant violations of Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations for Finished Pharmaceuticals.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Metro Produce Distributors, Inc. (Minneapolis, MN) that a February/March 2012 inspection of the company’s facility found that it was in violation of the juice Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Cal Valls (Vilanova de Bellpuig, Spain) that a January 2012 inspection of the company’s acidified foods facility found serious deviations from the Acidified Foods regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns El Toro Farm Fresh Cheese Co. (Piedmont, SC) that a January 2012 inspection of the company’s soft cheese processing facility found serious violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns JC’s Fish and BBQ Inc. (Knoxville, AR) that a February 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Alcaparras Luxeapers SLU (Nacimiento, Spain) that a January 2012 inspection of the company’s facility found serious deviations from the acidified food regulations.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns PT. Bonecom aka Bone Commercial Company (Jakarta, Utara, Indonesia) that a May 2011 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility, followed by further review of documentation provided in the company’s response, found that the firm’s frozen, vacuum-packaged fish products appear to be adulterated in that the products have been prepared, packed, or held under insanitary conditions whereby they may have been rendered injurious to health.
- Food Safety Recall: Neal Brothers Foods Inc. and Sobey’s Quebec Inc. recall Kettle Cheddar & Sour Cream Krinkle Cut Potato Chips (220g; Code 2012 NO 15; UPC 0 84114 11902 5), due to extraneous material (metal) contamination.
- Food Safety Recall: Weston Bakeries Ltd. recalls No Name Steamed Hot Dog Buns (510g; Code 29JN2012 LBR B7; UPC 0 60383 67962 0), Gadoua Steamed Hot Dog Buns (600g; Code 29JN2012 LBR B7; UPC 0 56573 12202 1) and Family Steamed Hot Dog Rolls (504g; Code 29JN2012 LBR B7; UPC 0 63400 24004 9), due to extraneous material (metal) contamination. The recalled products were sold in Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Danish Crown A/S recalls Pork Mene pork and cuts thereof, including pork, ham, chops and dices (Packed 14 and 15 June 2012), due to Salmonella contamination. The meat was sold during the period 16th June to 25th June. Please refer to the recall notice for details on the locations where the recalled pork was sold.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Kattegat Seafood A/S recalls Capella Smoked Mackerel Fillet with Pepper (100g modified atmosphere pack; Produced 04.06.2012 through22.06.2012; Expiry 07/02/2012 to 20/07/2012), because 10% of the packets have leaks in the weld, which could result in mold growth and reduced shelf life.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Falengreen A/S recalls Urtekram Shredded Organic Mozarella cheese (140g; Production date 15-05-2012; Best before 27-08-2012; Lot #F848966), due to mold growth in bags of the product.
- Outbreak Alert (Finland): Two children became infected with shiga-toxin producing E. coli (STEC) after consuming unpasteurized milk purchased directly from a farm in Southwest Finland. One of the children required hospitalization and spent some time in the ICU. Sales of milk from the farm were embargoed as soon as the suspected source of the infections was determined.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Philippines): Shellfish and alamang from the coastal waters of Milagros in Masbate are unsafe for human consumption due to red tide toxin. Fish, squids, shrimps and crabs are safe, if properly cleaned and prepared, according to the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating two suspected food poisoning outbreaks involving 10 persons. All of the victims dined at the same restaurant in Yuen Long – the first group on June 22 and the second on June 24.
- Outbreak Alert (India): More than 83 students from the Vetangudi Panchayat Union Middle School in Sirkazhi (Tamil Nadu) were hospitalized with symptoms of food poisoning after consuming a noon meal. The students, who complained of nausea and vomiting, are out of danger.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.