Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Medical Device Safety Recall: Nidek Medical Products, Inc. recalls several models of Nidek Medical Mark5 Nuvo oxygen concentrators, due to a capacitor component inside the concentrators found in some instances to fail, which has resulted in residential and nursing home fires, and loss of supplemental oxygen supply. Please refer to the recall notice for details of the recall.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns International Specialty Supply Holding, Inc. (Cookeville, TN) that a February 2012 inspection of the company’s sprout growing facility revealed insanitary conditions and practices which cause the company’s fresh cut products to be adulterated within the meaning of Section 402(a)(4) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, because they were prepared, packed, or held under insanitary conditions whereby they may have become contaminated with filth or rendered injurious to health.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Oza Compound Products, LLC (Fort Wayne, IN) that a January 2012 inspection of the company’s dietary supplement manufacturing facility revealed significant violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations for dietary supplements.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Hijos De Carlos Albo S.L. (Vigo, Spain) that a December 2011 inspection of the company’s seafood manufacturing facility found serious deviations from the Seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) Regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Neukom Groves, Inc. (Zephyrhills, FL) that a February 2012 inspection of the company’s juice processing facility found serious deviations from the FDA’s juice processing regulation.
- Food Safety Recall (Greece): Olympia A. Nikolaidou & Co. recalls Dried Tomatoes (Product of Belmar AS, Turkey; Lot 03/2012; Expiration date 12/2014) because of excessive levels of sulfur dioxide.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Sainsbury’s recalls Sainsbury’s So Organic Fruit and Nut Mix (300g; All date codes), after Salmonella was detected in one package.
- Food Withdrawal (Denmark): Haugen Group Denmark A/S withdraws Swipper Freeze-Yourself-Er Tutti Frutti (Cola, Tutti Frutti and Strawberry; 12 x 40 mL; Best before 11th October 2012; Lot #1081011; Product of Sweden), because there is evidence of acetic acid bacteria in green Tutti-Frutti ice cream. The Cola and Strawberry flavors are unaffected.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): BVL, the German food safety authority, announces the recall of table eggs (Manufacturer DE-0-0356091; Best before 06/14/2012 and later), due to excessive levels of dioxin and dioxin-like PCBs.
- Outbreak Alert (Spain): Approximately 30 patrons of the Minero de La Unión bar developed gastroenteritis as a result of Salmonella infection. Four people were hospitalized.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0839): Cadmium in snails from Italy; distributed to France and Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert Update (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigation three additional cases of bacillary dystentery caused by Shigella sonnei, bringing the outbreak total to nine, since the beginning of June. The three new patients all lived in Tuen Mun.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (Australia): Valcorp Fine Foods Pty Ltd. recalls LaBella Cioccolata 1963 Drinking Chocolate (10 x 20g sachets in 200g cardboard box; Date marking 21/02/2013, 22/02/2013 and 23/02/2013) due to the presence of undeclared milk. The product was sold at Myer, Harvey Norman and The Good Guys nationally, and has been displayed and used in demonstrations at store level where coffee-making machines are located.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.