Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Unilever recalls Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Nougat Crunch Ice Cream: Sweet Cream Ice Cream with Fudge Covered Wafer Cookies & a Chocolate Nougat Swirl (1-pt containers; UPC 7684020899; Date codes JUL1113BJ1, JUL1213BJ1, AUG0113BJ1, AUG0213BJ1, AUG2313BJ1, AUG2413BJ1, AUG2513BJ1, SEP2013BJ1, SEP2113BJ1, and OCT2313BJ1), because the containers are missing an allergen advisory statement and may contain traces of peanuts or tree nuts. The recalled product was distributed nationwide in retail stores.
- Allergy Alert: CB Foods, Inc. (El Monte, CA) recalls Pork Shaomai Dumpling (12.5-lb cases or trays; Case code 002; Est 39932; Produced June 2011 to June 5, 2012), due to the presence of undeclared monosodium glutamate (MSG). The recalled products were shipped to hotels and restaurants in California and Nevada.
- Food Safety Recall: Lowes Foods advises its customers that Snyder’s – Lance has recalled Hot Buffalo Wing Pieces (12-oz and 2.25-oz) due to possible metallic contamination in the products. No date code or lot code information was included in the advisory.
- Food Safety Alert: Consumers in and around Chautauqua County, New York are warned not to consume unpasteurized raw farm milk from Castle Farms, after a routine sample of the milk was discovered to be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The producer suspended raw milk sales on June 7, 2012 on being notified of a preliminary positive result. Now that the result has been confirmed, Castle Farms is prohibited from selling raw milk until subsequent sampling indicates that the product is free of harmful pathogens.
- Food Safety Alert: California Department of Public Health (CDPH) warns consumers not to eat soups from One Gun Ranch (sold at Pacific Palisades Farmers Market on May 13, 2012 and June 3, 2012) and Organic Soup Kitchen (sold between June 6, 2011 and May 6, 2012 at Calabasas Farmers Market and Studio City Farmers Market), because they may have been improperly produced, making them susceptible to Clostridium botulinum. Please refer to the CDPH Alert for a list of the affected varieties of soups.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Woolery Enterprises, Inc., dba Will’s Fresh Foods (San Leandro, CA) that an April/May 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns R & L, Inc. (Lima, OH) that a March/April 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Caribe Natural, LLC (Miami, FL) that a September to November 2011 inspection revealed serious violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for Manufacturing, Packaging, Labeling, or Holding Operations for Dietary Supplements.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Amor Nino Foods Inc. (Honolulu, HI) that a February/March 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- Food Safety Recall: William Dunne & Associates recalls Burger King Onion Rings Flavoured Snacks (57g and 185g; Codes 2013MA22 and 2013MA23, respectively), due to metal contamination. The recalled product was sold nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Metro Ontario Inc., Planet Foods Inc. and Loblaw Companies Ltd. recall Popchips Sea Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips (85g; Codes 13MA23TM (Metro and Planet Foods only) or 13MA08 (all three companies); UPC 0 82666 71240 4), due to metal contamination. The recalled products were sold nationally by Loblaw, in Ontario by Metro, and in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, Ontario, Saskatchewan, and Yukon by Planet Foods.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): R&R Ice Cream Ltd. recalls Chokablok The Chocolate Extremist, Peanut Butter Nutter, and Billionaires Dynamite ice cream varieties (3 x 80ml multipack; All best before end dates up to and including October 2012), because a production fault may have resulted in the products containing pieces of broken lolly stick. The recalled ice cream products were sold at Tesco and One Stop stores.
- Food Enforcement Action (UK): A judge has found Elmkirk Limited (an Essex slaughterhouse) guilty under the Food Hygiene (England) Regulations on eight charges of delivering over-temperature meat. The company was find £12,000 and ordered to pay prosecution costs of nearly £26,000.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Singapore): The Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority alerts Singapore consumers to the recall in Australia of Casa brand Marinated Feta, due to a risk of E. coli contamination. The retail packs were not imported into Singapore; the 1.5kg trade pack consignment that reached Singapore was not distributed for sale and will be destroyed. Consumers who purchased the affected products overseas should discard them.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.