Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Keoki’s Lau Lau (Honolulu, HI) recalls Keoki’s Kalua Brand Pork (12-oz and 48-oz tubs; Batch #546 and 552; Est 12429; Produced May 24th and 25th, 2012), due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled ready-to-eat product was distributed to retail establishments in Hawaii.
- Food Safety Recall: Liberty Gold Fruit Company, Inc. (South San Francisco, CA) recalls Daufuski Brand boiled oysters (8-oz cans; UPC 72810-00012; Product of Korea), as a result of findings by the FDA of unsanitary conditions in the shellfish growing areas in Korea. Daufuski Brand smoked oysters are NOT produced in Korea, and are unaffected by this recall.
- Food Safety Recall: World Finer Foods recalls Reese Petite Smoked Oysters (Product of Korea; UPC 70670-00575), Reese Colossal Smoked Oysters (Product of Korea; UPC 70670-00576), and Reese Medium Smoked Oysters (Product of Korea; UPC 70670-00600), as a result of findings by the FDA of unsanitary conditions in the shellfish growing areas in Korea. All other World Finer Foods shellfish products were sourced from China or the USA (Bar Harbor brand), and are not affected by this recall.
- Allergy Alert: Fit Foods recalls North Coast Naturals Organic Hemp Protein (340g; Code 111151 06/2013; UPC 6 27933 10001 2), due to the presence of undeclared gluten. The recalled product was distributed through retailers nationwide.
- Allergy Alert (Sweden): ICA withdraws Yakiniku ready-to-eat meals (Best before date 2012-06-07), due to the presence of undeclared sesame seeds. The recalled products were sold in 30 or so ICA stores in Stockholm and Gothenburg.
- Cosmetic Product Safety Recall (France): DGCCRF orders the recall of Royal Black Henna, Royal Red Henna, and Royal Brown Henna hair coloring products (Products of India), because of the presence of a very elevated concentration of para-phénylène-diamine, and the presence of two prohibited ingredients in the products.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (France): Laboratoires Arrow Génériques / Almus France recalls Arrow Tetrazepam, 50mg and Almus Tetrazepam, 50mg, because of unsatisfactory 24-month stability test results, and the detection of impurities during stability testing. Please refer to the recall notice for a list of affected lots and expiration dates.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Turkey): The Anatolia News Agency reports an outbreak of food poisoning among 83 tourists in Bodrum. The outbreak victims, who complained of nausea and stomach aches, were treated in hospital.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (Australia): Mars Food Australia recalls Dolmio Pasta Bake Creamy Sundried Tomato & Garlic Sauce (540g glass jar; Best before 13/05/2013), due to the presence of undeclared sulfites. The recalled product was sold at Coles Supermarkets nationwide.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.