Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: BaLe Meat Processing Wholesale, Inc. (Chicago, IL) recalls BaLe Cha Bi (Skin Pork Patty Roll), BaLe Cha Lua (Steamed Pork Patty Roll), BaLe Cha Chien (Fried Pork Patty Roll), BaLe Cha Hue (Spicy Pork Patty Roll), BaLe Cha Lua La Chuoi (Steamed Pork Roll Wrapped in Banana Leaves), and BaLe Cha Lua (Raw Pork Roll finished product), because of misbranding and the presence of undeclared wheat. The recalled products, bearing establishment number EST. 18442, were shipped to retail locations in Oakland, California; Denver, Colorado; Chicago, Illinois; Dorchester, Massachusetts; and Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Food Safety Recall: Blackstar Dairy (Solway, MN) recalls Blackstar Dairy brand Heavy Whipping Cream (Sell-by date 6/17/2012), after routine sampling by the Minnesota Department of Agriculture found the product had not been properly pasteurized. The recalled product is distributed statewide in Minnesota by Trudeau Distribution.
- Food Safety Recall: Crown Prince recalls Crown Prince Whole Boiled Oysters (UPC 0 73230 00052 2), Crown Prince Naturral Whole Boiled Oysters (UPC 0 73230 00852 8), Crown Prince Natural Smoked Oysters in Olive Oil (UPC 0 73230 00851 1) and Crown Prince Natural Smoked Oysters with Chili Pepper (UPC 0 73230 00866 5), because FDA has declared that all shellfish from South Korea are considered to be adulterated. This recall only affects oysters from South Korea. No other Crown Prince items or countries of origin are affected.
- Food Safety Recall: Lowes Foods recalls Reese Petite Smoked Oysters (3.7 oz can; Product of South Korea; UPC 70670 00575), because FDA has removed Korea from its list of certified shippers, due to potential contamination.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert: FDA warns consumers that Reumofan Plus, which is manufactured in Mexico by Riger Naturals, contains several active pharmaceutical ingredients, which are not listed on the label and which could be harmful. FDA has received multiple reports of averse events associated with the use of this product.
- Food Safety Recall: Boucherie Claude Giguère (Trois-Rivières, QC) recalls prepared meals packed in glass Mason jars (500mL jars), because the products were not stored under refrigeration at all times and may be unsafe for human consumption. The products are missing the label instruction “Garder réfrigéré”/”Keep refrigerated.”
- Food Safety Recall: Les Aliments 2000 Inc. ((Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures, QC) recalls Cuisine du Viêt-nam brand Butterfly Knots Honey & Sesame (102g packages; UPC 8 59912 00102 1; all lots), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was distributed in Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall: Pusateri’s Fine Foods (Toronto, ON) recalls Delicately Smoked Boneless Rainbow Trout (Packaged on 2012.05.07/Best before 2012.05.21 and Packaged on 2012.05.13/Best before 0212.05.27), Nanuk Balick Salmon Centre Cut Atlantic Smoked Salmon (Packaged on 2012.04.19/Best before 2012.05.19; Packaged on 2012.05.03/Best before 2012.06.02; Packaged on 2012.05.11/Best before 2012.06.12) and Original Lox Smoked Sockeye Salmon (200g; Packaged on 2012.05.11/Best before 2012.06.11 and Packaged on 2012.05.15/Best before 2012.06.05), because the products may be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. The recalled products were sold only at Pusateri’s Fine Foods (1539 Avenue Road, Toronto, ON).
- Food Safety Recall: M & M Meat Shops Ltd. recalls M & M Meat Shops Chicken Phyllo Collection (288g; Lots 3411B, 3421A and 3421B; UPC 6 61815 00003 8), due to contamination with glass particles. The recalled product was sold in Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, and Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall: Costco Wholesale recalls Kirkland Signature Lemon Cupcakes, Kirkland Signature Red Velvet Cupcakes and Kirkland Signature Mix and Match Muffins (produced in the St. Catherines’ Costco warehouse between May 22nd and May 24th, 2012), because the product may contain a bolt or washer.
- Food Safety Recall (France): La Fromagerie des Sources (Lozère) recalls Berger des Sources brand Tommettes de Brebis, Meules de Brebis, Tomes de Brebis, Bleu de Brebis and Fourme de Brebis cheeses (All lot numbers; Expiry dates May 22, 2012 to March 12, 2013, inclusive) due to Salmonella contamination. The recalled cheeses were sold, both labelled and unlabelled, in stores and markets in the following départements: 7, 17, 16, 22, 24, 26, 30, 31, 33, 34, 37, 38, 40, 42, 43, 48, 58, 59, 69, 75, 83, 84, 85, and 87.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): SPRL Fromagerie du Pont de Pierre recalls Louché de chèvre goat cheese (Lot 143; Best before 27/06/2012; sold from 24/05/2012 to 31/05/2012), because the product contains Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product may also have been distributed to France and Luxembourg.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert/Recall (Mexico): The Secretary of Health has ordered the recall of Reumofan Plus (Manufactured by Riger Natural, Jalisco) from the market, because this product, which is claimed to be “100% natural” has been found to contain the pharmaceutical ingredient Dexamethasone (dexametasona), a potent antiinflammatory and immunosuppressor, in addition to methylprednisolone (metilprednisolona). Neither of these pharmaceutical ingredients are declared on the product label, and the product itself is not a registered health product. The recalled product was sold in Jalisco and Baja California, and may also have been sold elsewhere, including the USA.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.