Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Counterfeit Prescription Pharmaceutical Safety Alert: FDA warns consumers and health care professionals that a counterfeit version of Adderall 30 milligram tablets is being sold on the Internet. Preliminary FDA lab tests revealed that the counterfeit version of the tablets contain the wrong active ingredients. The counterfeit Adderall tablets are round, white, and do not have any type of markings, such as letters or numbers. Authentic Adderall 30 mg tablets are round, orange/peach colored, and scored with “dp” embossed on one side and “30” on the other side of the tablet. Authentic Adderall 30 mg tablets are packaged only in a 100-count bottle with the National Drug Code 0555-0768-02 listed. Please refer to the FDA News Release for a detailed description of potential counterfeit Adderall 30 mg tablets.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Sushi Boy, Inc. (Gardena, CA) that a November/December 2011 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation, and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns The Nut Factory, Inc. (Greenacres, WA) that a January 2012 inspection of the company’s food manufacturing facility revealed serious violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) in Manufacturing, Packing, or Holding Human Food, including evidence of a lack of pest control and other violations.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Seco Spice Ltd. (Berino, NM) that an October/November 2011 inspection of the company’s chili pepper and spice manufacturing facility documented serious violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice in Manufacturing, Packing, or Holding Food (CGMP) regulation for food, including the presence of Salmonella in environmental samples taken during the inspection.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Smith Family Frosted Foods, LLC (Tiffin, OH) that a January/February 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns McNEIL-PPC, Inc. (Skillman, NJ) that a December 2011/January 2012 inspection of the company’s facility revealed that the devices manufactured in the facility are adulterated, in that the methods used in, or the facilities or controls used for, their manufacture, packing, storage, or installation are not in conformity with the current good manufacturing practice requirements of the Quality System regulation.
- Allergy Alert: Upper 49th Imports Inc. recalls Designer Whey Protein Powder – French Vanilla (908g; Code 4111167187B; Enjoy by JUN 2013) and Designer Whey Protein Powder – Strawberry (908g; Code 4211138189B; Enjoy by MAY 2013), due to the presence of undeclared gluten. The recalled products were distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Alert: Toronto Public Health reminds the public to wash and cook fiddleheads properly in order to avoid illness. Seven cases of illness associated with eating fiddleheads have been reported by Toronto residents since the beginning of May.
- Food Safety Alert (Ireland): The Food Safety Authority of Ireland has been informed of a reported theft of a consignment of beef from a Dublin-based meat wholesaler. Consumers and food businesses should only purchase meat from approved sources.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0725): Dioxins in fish meal from Latvia; distributed to Latvia and Russian Federation.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0726 & 2012.0727): Salmonella spp. in paan leaves from Bangladesh; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0729): Salmonella paratyphi B in mechanically separated frozen poultry meat from the Netherlands; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0731): Insect larvae in walnut kernels from Bulgaria, via Austria; distributed to Hungary.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0732): Aflatoxins in peanuts in shell from China; distributed to the United Kingdom.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating a confirmed case of Shiga-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) infection in a 20-month old girl. The patient had no recent travel history, and her home contacts were asymptomatic.
- Outbreak Alert (China): Ninety-seven people in Quyang county of Baoding city were hospitalized after eating braised chicken produced by the local Dalong chicken store. China Daily reports that one person is critically ill, and the others are in stable condition.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Outbreak Alert (Turks and Caicos Islands): More than 150 people have reported symptoms of gastroenteritis and sought medical attention since the end of April 2012. The illness has affected about a dozen hotels on the island of Providenciales, according to the Turks & Caicos Sun.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.