Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Chicken of the Sea International (San Diego, CA) recalls Chicken of the Sea Whole Oysters (12/8 oz cans; UPC 4800000267), Chicken of the Sea Oyster Pieces (24/8-oz cans; UPC 4800000069), Pacific Pearl Whole Oysters (12/8-oz cans; UPC 7175902112), Ace of Diamonds Whole Oysters (24/8-oz cans; UPC 7760015508), and Pacific Pearl Smoked Oyster Water (12/3.75; UPC 7175902119), based on finds by FDA of unsanitary conditions in the processing of shellfish at specified plants in Korea.
- Food Safety Recall: Hocean, Inc. (Commerce City, CA) recalls Nitre Powder (4-oz plastic bags; UPC 0 45027 97918 2; all packages), because the product may contain dangerously high levels of sodium nitrite. The recalled product was distributed from July 2008 to February 2010 to Asian food markets and other grocery stores in California, Texas, Oregon, Nebraska, Georgia, Florida, Colorado, Oklahoma, Washington, New Mexico, Ohio, Arizona, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Virginia.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: The Menz Club, LLC recalls V Maxx RX Single Count (UPC 2802803561, Lot Nos. 101108, 101009, 101010, 101011), V Maxx RX, Five-count (UPC 0972859402, Lot Nos. 101108, 101109, 101110) and V Maxx RX Ten-count (UPC 0913251017, Lot Nos. 301000, 301001), after FDA lab analysis of Lot #101109 revealed the presence of undeclared sulfoaildenafil, an analog of the prescription drug sildenafil, which is used to treat erectile dysfunction.
- Food Safety Recall: Pacific Blends Ltd. recalls Pacific Blends 53046 Nitricure (25kg; Lot 054226), due to the extraneous material contamination. The recalled product was distributed to hotels, restaurants and institutions in British Columbia.
- Food Safety Withdrawal (Sweden): Coop withdraws Coop Minced beef (2000g; Use by May 28 to 31), Coop Among Loaf (500g, 1000g and 2000g; Use by May 28 to June 1), Coop Hamburgers (425g, 1130g; Use by May 29 to 30) and Coop Bacon Burgers (use by May 30), after raw material sampling revealed the presence of Salmonella.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): TRS Wholesale Co. Ltd. (Southall, Middlesex, England) recalls Kurkuma Turmeric Powder (Product of India; Best before 31MAE2014; Batch code P120328), due to Salmonella contamination. The recalled product was distributed in North Rhine-Westphalia.
- Outbreak Alert Update (UK): Four adults and three children are now confirmed to have been infected with the outbreak strain of E. coli O157 that is connected to the Rose Lodge Nursery School in Aberdeenshire. Four more children are suspected to also be part of this outbreak.
- Unauthorized Drug/Illegal Drug Recall (Spain): The Spanish Agency for Medicines and Health Products orders the recall of Nuez de la India-Magicnuez/Nut of India-Magicnuez, which has is being illegally promoted as a drug for treating several conditions, including hemorrhoids, constipation, high cholesterol and arthritis.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0718): Salmonella spp. in paan leaves from Bangladesh; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0719): Salmonella spp. in pan leaves from India; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0720): Mold infestation in peach ice tea from Germany; distributed to Belgium.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0722): High Escherichia coli count in chilled clams from Turkey, via Greece; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0723): Mercury in frozen blue shark from Spain, manufactured in Italy; distributed to France and Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0724): Unauthorized formic acid in white sour cabbage from Poland; distributed to Slovakia.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Proprietary Chinese Medicine Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Fu Yuen Trading Company and Kian Hin Leong Medicine Company Limited recall G.L. Savior Capsules and Hong Fu Ganmaoging Capsules, respectively, because the gelatin capsules contain excessive chromium levels.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.