Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Mt. Airy Meat Center (Mt. Airy, NC) recalls Mt. Airy Meat Center Mesquite Chicken Breast Raw Ready to Cook (approx. 1.5-lb vacuum-sealed pkgs; Est. P017690), due to misbranding and the presence of undeclared wheat. the recalled product was sold to consumers at the company’s retail store.
- Allergy Alert: Zenner’s Quality Meat Products, Inc. (Portland, OR) recalls Zenner’s Smoked Brotwurst (2.25-lb pkgs; Sell by date through 7/17/12; Est 6308), due to misbranding and the presence of undeclared soy protein. the recalled products were manufactured through May 16, 2012 and distributed to wholesale establishments in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon and Washington.
- Food Safety Recall: L.A. Link (Huntington Beach) Corporation (Cerritos, CA) recalls Shiitake-Ya brand Gourmet Shiitake Slices (6-oz plastic jars; Sell by 04/16/2013), due to possible chemical contamination. The recalled product was sold in Costco Wholesale locations in Washington, Oregon and California.
- Food Safety Recall: Taste of Roux, LLC (Valley Village, CA) recalls Taste of Roux brand vegetarian soups (pt-size and qt-size glass jars with metal lids; includes Tortilla, Lentil, Black Bean, Tomato, Carrot Ginger, Vegetarian Chili and Detox vegetarian soups), due to possible Clostridium botulinum contamination. The recalled soups were sold at the Malibu Farmers Market (Malibu, CA) on Sundays beginning on November 20, 2011 and at the Autry Farmers Market (Los Angeles, CA) on Saturdays beginning on May 5, 2012.
- Food Safety Recall: The Kroger Company recalls numerous wraps, sandwiches, subs and salads, because the ready-to-eat products were made using lettuce that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Only products sold at Fred Meyer stores are affected.
- Compounded Prescription Recall: Franck’s Pharmacy recalls all sterile Human and Veterinary Prescriptions distributed from November 21, 2011 to May 21, 2012, after FDA discovers the presence of microorganisms and fungal growth in environmental samples from the company’s clean room.
- Food Safety Recall: Shah Trading Co. recalls Vitrac Pure Mild Honey – Clover Flower (340g and 880g sizes; Product codes PRO 12 2011 EXP 11 2013 0111346 and PRO 12 2011 EXP 11 2013 0111345, respectively) due to the presence of drug residues in the product. The recalled product was distributed in the Province of Quebec.
- Food Recall: Uncle T Food Ltd. recalls Hualien Japonica Premium Short Grain Rice (15 lb; All codes; UPC 4 712162 000083), due to insect contamination. The recalled product was sold in Alberta and British Columbia.
- Food Safety Recall: Various supermarket and grocery chains recall Gills Onions brand Fresh Diced Red Onions (Product of USA, 198g packages; Best before 05/17/12; Lot code 51RDA1A2119), due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The product was sold in stores belonging to the following chains: Overwaitea Food Group LP (Alberta and British Columbia), The Produce People Inc. (Alberta), Canada Safeway Ltd. (National distribution), and Loblaw Companies Ltd. (Ontario).
- Allergy Alert (Finland): Dynameat Ltd. recalls Full Meat Sausage (400g pkg; Best before dates 01/06/2012 and 06/06/2012), due to the presence of undeclared soy protein.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Danton Trading A/S recalls Antos Greek Yoghurt with 2% Honey (Lot L12312; Best before 02-07-2012), due to leaky packaging.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Coop Denmark recalls Fresh packaged ginger (Product of China; 200g; Lot 20A), due to the presence of pesticide residues above the permitted limit.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0694): Unauthorized dinotefuran in chilled kale from Thailand; distributed to Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0695): Acetamiprid and fipronil in chinese broccoli from China; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0696): Salmonella Cerro and Salmonella Senftenberg in soybean meal from Brazil; distributed to Hungary and Slovenia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0697): Nematode infestation of chilled monkfish from France; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0698): Profenofos and omethoate in frozen small eggplants from Thailand; distributed to Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0699): Omethoate in chilled white eggplants from Malaysia; distributed to Switzerland.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0700): Undeclared gluten in rice cakes from France; distributed to Andorra and Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0701 & 2012.0702): Mold infestation in black olives from Belgium; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0703): Listeria monocytogenes in sliced black olives from Spain; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0704 & 2012.0705): Mercury in vacuum packed fillets of swordfish from France; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Food Safety urges the public not to consume Tous Les Jours PC Sardines Tomate (3 x 120g; Product of Morocco; Best before January 20, 2015; Batch #BJL 020F) and Tous Les Jours Sardines in Oil (3 x 120g; Product of Morocco; Best before January 19, 2017; Batch #BJL 019F), due to high levels of histamine. The products were imported into Hong Kong by PARKnSHOP in mid-April, 2012.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.