Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Pet Food Safety Recall: Diamond Pet Foods expands voluntary recall to include Diamond Naturals Small Breed Adult Dog Lamb & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food (samples, 6-lb bags, and 18-lb bags; Production Code DSL 0801; Best before dates 26-Aug-2012, 27-Sept-2012 and 18-Oct-2012) due to potential Salmonella contamination. The recalled product was distributed in Colorado, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin. Further distribution through other pet food channels or on-line retailers may have occurred. The recalled product was manufactured on August 26, 2011 in Diamond’s Meta, Missouri facility.
- Allergy Alert: Delhaize America advises consumers of the recall of AlsoSalt Butter Flavored Salt Substitute (2.5-oz bottle; All expiration dates), due to the presence of an undeclared milk ingredient. The recalled product was sold in Food Lion, Bottom Dollar Food, Reid’s and Harveys retail stores.
- Food Safety Recall: River Ranch Fresh Foods, LLC (Salinas, CA) expands its recall of retail and foodservice bagged salads, because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled products were distributed for retail sale throughout the USA and Canada under the River Ranch, Farm Stand, Hy-Vee, Shurfresh and The Farmer’s Market brands, and to foodservice clients under the River Ranch and Sysco brands.
- Food Safety Recall: Jerusalem House (Eugene, OR) recalls all varieties and sizes of containers of Jerusalem House brand Hummos products, Baba Ghanouj, Grape Leaves, Black Bean Hummous Dip, Salsa de Jardin and Tahini products, and Earth Gourmet Foods Original Tahini, because they may contain a chemical contaminant.
- Food Safety Recall: Boulart, Inc. recalls Boulart Multigrain Ciabatta Baguette (11.5 oz loaves; UPC 80022884), because the product may contain metal fragments.
- Food Safety Recall: Sobeys, Inc. (Mississauga, ON) expands its earlier recall to include new salad products, and additional codes of previously recalled salads, because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The expanded recall includes Compliments and Sensations salad products (see recall notice for complete list of products), which were distributed nationally. In addition, in-store produced products containing lettuce such as salads, sandwiches or wraps purchased prior to May 20, 2012 from IGA and Sobeys stores in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Sobeys, Price Chopper, or Foodland stores in Ontario should be discarded and not consumed.
- Food Safety Recall: FreshPoint Vancouver, Ltd. (BC), J.E. Russel Produce Ltd. (Toronto, ON), Martins Produce Ltd. (Saskatoon, SK), Sysco Calgary (AB), Sysco Edmonton (AB), Sysco Regina (SK), Sysco Winnipeg (MB), and Sysco Thunderbay (ON) expand their earlier recall of salad products to include new products (see recall notice for detailed list of products) and Best Before date codes, because the recalled products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Consumer Product Safety Alert: Health Canada advises Canadians that a new website – http://www.buymms.biz – has been identified selling MMS, also known as Miracle Mineral Solution or Miracle Mineral Supplement. There are no therapeutic products containing sodium chlorite that are authorized for oral consumption by humans MMS may cause serious health problems that include poisoning, kidney failure and harm to red blood cells that reduces the ability of the blood to carry oxygen. Additional health problems may also include abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhoea.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Wm Morrison Supermarkets plc recalls Morrisons Fresh Carrot Cake (Use by dates 24 or 26 May 2012), due to the presence of undeclared soy. The allergy alert was triggered by a packaging error that resulted in some cake boxes containing chocolate cake instead of carrot cake.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Spar UK Ltd recalls Spar Pudding Rice (500g; All date codes up to and including 4 November 2013) due to possible insect infestation (rice weevils).
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Nordic Centre sprl recalls Darnes d’espadon, surgelé/Frozen Swordfish Steaks (1000g; Lot #VN057II094; Expiry 31/05/2013), due to heavy metal contamination.
- Food Recall (Denmark): Castle Brewery Phoenix Ltd. recalls Brodtgaard innuendo Bale Brewery Beer (Expiry date 02.01.2013), because of excessive fermentation in the bottles, which could result in bursting.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Pet Food Safety Recall (Singapore): Link2Link Asia Pacific Pte Ltd. recalls Country Value, Diamond Naturals, Premium Edge, and Taste of the Wild dry pet foods that were recalled by the manufacturer (Diamond Pet Foods), due to Salmonella contamination. Please refer to the recall notice for details of recalled products that were imported into Singapore.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.