Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Bakery El Monte Sinai Corp. (Hempstead, NY) recalls Rainbow Cake (10-oz Styrofoam tray; Code date 7/8/12; UPC 5273500209), due to the presence of undeclared eggs. The recalled product was sold in Nassau, Suffolk, and New York counties in New York State.
- Food Safety Recall: Raj Foods LLC (Houston, TX) recalls Raj Foods Halal Beef Samosa(s) (12 x 1-oz beef samosas per bag; Produced between Aug 9th and 23rd, 2011; Est 44163), because a meat ingredient used in the product may have been produced in a facility that is not federally inspected.
- Food Safety Recall (via FDA Enforcement Report): Papayas & More LLC (Hidalgo, TX) recalls Papayas Delicious Fruit (Produce of Mexico; Lot #CH347; Codes 6909014, 6909914, and 6909318), because the papayas tested positive for Salmonella. The recalled fruit was produced by Empaque de Frutas Chulavista S.A. de C.V. (Tecoman, Mexico) and was distributed only to New York state. The recall was announced by letter on April 14, 2012.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The Salmonella Bareilly outbreak attributed to a contaminated raw scraped tuna product imported from India has grown to 316 persons from 26 states and the District of Columbia. Thirty-seven of the outbreak victims have been hospitalized.
- Outbreak Alert Update (South Carolina): The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control has been unable to conclusively link a recent outbreak of E. coli O157:H7 and hemolytic uremic syndrome to a Spartanburg Mexican-style restaurant. Health officials identified the restaurant as the El Mexicano, and revealed that the facility scored an “A” rating on its two most recent inspections. The investigation is continuing.
- Allergy Alert: Folie en Vrac (Montréal, QC) recalls Folie en Vrac salads and ready-to-eat dishes, due to the presence of undeclared pistachios and cashew nuts.
- Outbreak Alert (Ontario): The Thunder Bay District Health Unit confirmed 89 cases of people suffering symptoms of diarrhea, vomiting and nausea after visiting This Old Barn on Oliver Road. A dozen were admitted to hospital. The health unit found E. coli in the well water used by the restaurant, according to a CBC report.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Delica recalls Grand-Mère Pâté (340g; Lot 138 919; Best before 7/6-2012; Product of Belgium) after bits of chicken bones were found in the pâté. The recalled product was distributed in Netto stores across Denmark.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating a confirmed case of E. coli O157:H7 infection in a one-year old girl who experienced bloody diarrhea. There was no recent travel history.
Australia and New Zealand
- Medical Device Safety Recall (Australia): Endeavour Industries Pty Ltd. recalls Endeavour Industries brand Quad (4 X Point) Walking Stick, because the product was manufactured using a grade or gauge of aluminum tube which is inadequate. Bending of the adjustable handle has been reported in some cases at less than the recommended user weight, and the product has faild government static loading (strength) testing.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.